"For those about to Rock!" Top 5 Page for this destination Leipzig by mindcrime

Leipzig Travel Guide: 521 reviews and 1,123 photos

I visited Leipzig because I wanted to see AC/DC live! Later I noticed in some books that the city has a lot to offer to a visitor so I decided to stay 2 days there and I didn’t regret it. The Old Town is beautiful, full of arcades, interesting churches(St.Nickolas and St.Thomas) and some nice museums(museum of fine arts and Stasi Museum among them). It was relaxing walking around and enjoy the coffee in some nice cafes like the famous Coffe Baum.

I also visited the interesting ZOO, the monument of the Battle of the Nations, the New City Hall, Schiller’s House and I took several trams just to see the city (I had Leipzig card that gives you unlimited free rides on trams and buses). By the way the concert of AC/DC was great…

Leipzig is located in NW Saxony, 113km west of Dresden, between Berlin and Munich. It has a population of about 500.000 people and its full of parks and a nice walkable Old Town. The old town of Leipzig was badly damaged during World War II but hopefully many of the old buildings have been restored. The Peaceful Revolution against GDR started here in Leipzig at St.Nickolas church.
Leipzig had the oldest trade fair in the world and later in the 18th century centre of a classical literary movement. Many famous people, artists, scientists and merchants lived here like Schumann, Mendelssohn, J.G.Fichte, Goethe etc Johann Sebastian Bach spent his last 27 years (1723-1750) in Leipzig as the choir’s master at St.Thomas church. J.P.Sartre and J.W.Goethe studied in Leipzig. Goethe said about the city “I praise my Leipzig. It’s a small Paris and educates its people”

In our days it’s the center of books with a huge book festival every year but also many other international fairs.

• Pros:great city for a weekend trip
  • Cons:it may be boring if you stay more
  • Last visit to Leipzig: Mar 2009
  • Intro Updated Feb 6, 2013

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Mar 7, 2010 at 2:28 PM

I'm glad you saw a good concert and also stayed on for two more days to see the city. I have been to Leipzig several times, mostly for business and/or opera, and always enjoyed it. On my last visit I rented a NextBike on the street.

• Turska's Profile Photo
    Feb 25, 2010 at 2:08 AM

I will see AC/DC at Tampere (where we live!) at 1st of June this summer :) Last time was at Helsinki last summer-they came back to Finland quickly this time!This is a promised land of heavy metal,as some have said ;)

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Jul 21, 2009 at 9:48 AM

Helko, Konstantinos! Thanks for your nice description!

• Yaqui's Profile Photo
    May 11, 2009 at 11:43 AM

AC DC rocks and so does this lovely city. Wonderful page with lots of great information. Thanks for sharing.

• nicolaitan's Profile Photo
    May 5, 2009 at 5:49 AM

great information and nice pictures as expected. took me a while to get here. that coffee house alone appears worth the trip. email to follow.

• kat-m's Profile Photo
    Apr 17, 2009 at 5:46 AM

no I did not forget the camera, but frequently went out without it, in another bag etc. its a women thing!kalo pasxa

• oriettaIT's Profile Photo
    Apr 17, 2009 at 1:03 AM

wonderful detailed job as usual!!! very interesting page thanks for sharing!!

mindcrime

“WORLD is a book. Don't read just one page!”

Badges & Stats in Leipzig

Have you been to Leipzig?

Latest Activity in Leipzig