"For those about to Rock!" Top 5 Page for this destination Leipzig by mindcrime
Leipzig Travel Guide: 528 reviews and 1,151 photos
I visited Leipzig because I wanted to see AC/DC live! Later I noticed in some books that the city has a lot to offer to a visitor so I decided to stay 2 days there and I didn?t regret it. The Old Town is beautiful, full of arcades, interesting churches(St.Nickolas and St.Thomas) and some nice museums(museum of fine arts and Stasi Museum among them). It was relaxing walking around and enjoy the coffee in some nice cafes like the famous Coffe Baum.
I also visited the interesting ZOO, the monument of the Battle of the Nations, the New City Hall, Schiller?s House and I took several trams just to see the city (I had Leipzig card that gives you unlimited free rides on trams and buses). By the way the concert of AC/DC was great?
Leipzig is located in NW Saxony, 113km west of Dresden, between Berlin and Munich. It has a population of about 500.000 people and its full of parks and a nice walkable Old Town. The old town of Leipzig was badly damaged during World War II but hopefully many of the old buildings have been restored. The Peaceful Revolution against GDR started here in Leipzig at St.Nickolas church.
Leipzig had the oldest trade fair in the world and later in the 18th century centre of a classical literary movement. Many famous people, artists, scientists and merchants lived here like Schumann, Mendelssohn, J.G.Fichte, Goethe etc Johann Sebastian Bach spent his last 27 years (1723-1750) in Leipzig as the choir?s master at St.Thomas church. J.P.Sartre and J.W.Goethe studied in Leipzig. Goethe said about the city ?I praise my Leipzig. It?s a small Paris and educates its people?
In our days it?s the center of books with a huge book festival every year but also many other international fairs.
- Pros:great city for a weekend trip
- Cons:it may be boring if you stay more
I visited Leipzig because I wanted to see AC/DC live! They played at Leipziger Messe, a place north of the city center,... more travel advice
This is a relaxing restaurant bar lounge up on the 29th floor of City Hochhaus (former University Tower of Leipzig). We... more travel advice
mindcrime's Related Pages
Leipzig Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Leipzig - petit Paris (Goethe's words)"
- "Opera and cycling in Leipzig"
- "For those about to Rock!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Leipzig
- Hotels in Leipzig
- Transportation in Leipzig
- Nightlife in Leipzig
- Restaurants in Leipzig
- Shopping in Leipzig
- Warnings and Dangers in Leipzig
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Leipzig
- 20 Reviews
- 55 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 8 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (282)
Have you been to Leipzig?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Leipzig
Photos in LeipzigSee All Photos (55)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Athens Intro, 199 reviews, 612 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Thessaloniki Intro, 80 reviews, 319 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Geneva Intro, 60 reviews, 257 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Corfu Island Intro, 72 reviews, 228 photos
- Rome Intro, 70 reviews, 229 photos
- Belgrade Intro, 64 reviews, 234 photos
- Paris Intro, 66 reviews, 228 photos
- London Intro, 56 reviews, 197 photos, 1 travelogue
- San Francisco Intro, 55 reviews, 189 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chania Intro, 53 reviews, 190 photos