"the upper castle" Top 5 Page for this destination Visegrad by mindcrime
Visegrad Travel Guide: 22 reviews and 83 photos
Visegrad is a small town 40km northwest of Budapest located between Szentendre and Esztergom, that’s why some people see it as part of a tour on daytrips that include these 3 towns of the Danube bend. We just traveled there from Szentendre by bus.
This small village with less than 2000 inhabitants lies next to Danube river and has a great history behind. Visegrad means “the upper castle”, a name given by Slovak settlers during 9th century when they came here and saw the remains of the old fort from the roman era. In 13th century (after the mongol invasion in Europe in 1242) the town was built again and a citadel was built up on the hill while the Royal palace was constructed near the river by the king of Hungary Charles Robert in 14th century, his son Louis the Great renovated the palace but big expansion took place by king Matthias Cornivus in late 15th century but he used the palace as a summer palace only. A century later the palace was destroyed by the ottoman turks.
What we did upon our arrival was to visit the Palace (the entrance is just a few meters away from the boat/bus stop) which now houses a museum. We drunk a coffee and then went up to the citadel (using a taxi) and enjoyed the beautiful view over Danube river. On our way back we preferred to save some money and hiked down the path that took us back to the bus stop.
If you go up to Felegvar you can just visit the castle and enjoy the view for 1400Ft or pay 300Ft and get access to a... more travel advice
Matyas Kiraly muzeum Visegrad is housed on the lower castle which is located a few meters away from the port on the main... more travel advice
mindcrime's Related Pages
Visegrad Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Visegrad - hilly little town with castle"
- "the upper castle"
- "Perched on a hill and steeped in history"
- "Explore the Danube-benk"
- "Closing Early"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Visegrad
- Transportation in Visegrad
- Restaurants in Visegrad
- Shopping in Visegrad
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Visegrad
- 6 Reviews
- 26 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (227)
Have you been to Visegrad?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Visegrad
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Athens Intro, 162 reviews, 481 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Geneva Intro, 60 reviews, 257 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Corfu Island Intro, 72 reviews, 228 photos
- Rome Intro, 70 reviews, 229 photos
- Paris Intro, 66 reviews, 228 photos
- London Intro, 56 reviews, 197 photos, 1 travelogue
- San Francisco Intro, 55 reviews, 189 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chania Intro, 53 reviews, 190 photos
- Budapest Intro, 46 reviews, 196 photos
- Copenhagen Intro, 46 reviews, 194 photos, 1 travelogue