"small seaside village with history" Amarinthos by mindcrime
Amarinthos Travel Guide: 2 reviews and 6 photos
Amarynthos (the locals call it Vathia) is about 30 kilometres from Chalkida and just about 10 kilometers away from Eretria. I visited Amarynthos one sunny hot morning on my way to Aliveri. Amarynthos is a typical small seaside village of Evia, built at a champaign between mountains Olympo and Kotileo. Usually, the locals strolling along the promenade watching the sea, drinking ouzo and eating fishes at the small taverns
There is a small folklore museum to visit and also the nice Byzantine church “Kimisi Tis Theotokou” just a few steps away from the sea. If you have a car ask for the Vlichos area, where you can visit the Macedonian tomb from the 4th century BC. The truth is that the area is very interesting because many archaological artifacts tell us that there were people here since the Neolithic period. What’s more many believe that Eretria used be here during the Mycenean period! In our days many people come here to swim at the clear waters of the beaches around. There are some small hotels in the area for those who are interested to overnight here and I guess some rooms to rent like in many greek seaside towns.
The local tourist industry is the basic business but also agriculture, fishing etc We spend only an hour at Amarynthos but it was relaxing enough, reading about this town and the historical background. Some people come here for the plateau Skotinis and the surrounding villages like Gymno for the enetic tower, Setta for the theatre(check for performances during the summer), Kalithea and Ano Vathia for the monastery of St. Nichola (7km away from Amarynthos with murals of the 12th century) and the church Panagitsa from the 14th century but I didn’t visit any of them.
As many other areas of Evia a big part of the surrounding forest is gone forever because of the annual forest fires in Evia. In 2007 a big fire came close to Setta village but not at Amarynthos.
You can easily reach Amarynthos by car. It's located across Kalamos at Evoic gulf so you just drive to Skala Oropou (45km from Athens) take the ferry to Eretria and from there to Amarynthos (10km away).
This is the cathedral of Amarynthos and the name means “The Dormition of Virgin Mary”. This beautiful church is really... more travel advice
mindcrime's Related Pages
Amarinthos Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Amarinthos
- 2 Reviews
- 6 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (254)
Have you been to Amarinthos?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Amarinthos
- Posted in Travel Greece Forum "Re: how much to fly"
- Commented on one of mindcrime's Amarinthos travel pages
- updated a Amarinthos Travel Page "small seaside village with history"
- Wrote a Review cathedreal Kimisi Tis Theotoku in Amarinthos Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "cathedreal Kimisi Tis Theotoku"
Photos in AmarinthosSee All Photos (6)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Athens Intro, 175 reviews, 521 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Thessaloniki Intro, 80 reviews, 319 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Geneva Intro, 60 reviews, 257 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Corfu Island Intro, 72 reviews, 228 photos
- Rome Intro, 70 reviews, 229 photos
- Paris Intro, 66 reviews, 228 photos
- London Intro, 56 reviews, 197 photos, 1 travelogue
- San Francisco Intro, 55 reviews, 189 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chania Intro, 53 reviews, 190 photos
- Budapest Intro, 46 reviews, 196 photos