"in love with Big Blue!" Top 5 Page for this destination Amorgos Island by mindcrime

Amorgos Island Travel Guide: 73 reviews and 253 photos

I cant be objective with Amorgos, it’s my favorite island in Cyclades complex. I was still in highschool when I first saw the Big Blue, the French movie made by Luc Besson and felt in love with the island. I visited many times since then.

The island doesn’t have any airport (so, no charter flights from europe, yes!) and the boat connection isn’t daily. So, it’s kind off the beaten path but I prefer it that way. It’s not impressive like Santorini, its not big like Naxos, it’s not green like Andros but still it’s unique, with the steep cliffs along its coastline, the natural environment in Amorgos will give you some great photo opportunities although many people find boring this rocky island with trees only at the valleys.

If you see the map of this long and narrow mountainous island you will realize there are two different ports, Aigiali at the north and Katapola at the west. Most of the visitors choose to stay at these small port towns or at Chora (5km from Katapola) which is the capital located at the center. There are some rooms in smaller villages too. There’s no need to book in advance if you go off season but the island gets packed during july/august. I never visit Amorgos in high season, there’s no reason to see it so crowded, it’s another place actually. There are about 1800 inhabitants, many work for the tourist industry during the summer months but also have a another job usually in agriculture section.
Like most of the islands in Cyclades there are many winds that will destroy your hair but they also keep the temperature in normal levels.

Things to do/see:

-visit the monastery of Chozoviotissa
-spend a day at the most beautiful Chora in Cyclades
-eat fresh fish at the local restaurants
-hike along its paths
-swim in beaches with crystal waters
-visit ancient sites and numerous churches
-visit the villages of Tholaria and Langada
-check the south part if you have some extra time, it’s off the beaten path but worth a visit
-talk with local people, they are very friendly and down to earth people

• Last visit to Amorgos Island: May 2010
  • Intro Updated Jul 9, 2013

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo
    Oct 10, 2010 at 2:27 PM

We are looking into a possible trip to the wonderful Greece. Thanks you for showing such nice pictures and comments of this area.

• jumpingnorman's Profile Photo
    Aug 7, 2010 at 8:17 AM

Konstantinos, excellent reviews of Amorgos Island and I like your personal recounts, like falling in love with Chora the first time you saw it - great writing :)

• oriettaIT's Profile Photo
    Aug 5, 2010 at 12:03 AM

Great page!! but I am spoiled now, I KNOW you always do a wonderful job! I think i found my next Greek destination ;-)

• nicolaitan's Profile Photo
    Jul 26, 2010 at 9:20 AM

beautiful page, love chora, great vertical monastery (H). and yes i know why you take pictures of old stones even if the old lady doesn't. maybe they will build a four seasons hotel and my wife will come. great page.

• SWFC_Fan's Profile Photo
    Jul 19, 2010 at 1:13 PM

Super tips, Konstantinos! I regret that I never made it to Amorgos on either of my jaunts through the Cyclades islands - maybe next time! I'll be sure to look out for the spoon sweets too! :-)

• elsadran's Profile Photo
    Jul 18, 2010 at 3:44 PM

Beautiful pages! Excellent photos! You reminded me of the best summers of my life in this wonderful island! I went there for 8 years in a row!

• mvtouring's Profile Photo
    Jul 17, 2010 at 2:15 PM

Reading this page, made me long to go back. One day I will definately come back and visit the islands that I missed ;-)

• tzuki's Profile Photo
    Jul 17, 2010 at 2:07 AM

Well done Kostas!! these are fantastic pages full of great tips and awesome photos. Love the coffee, restaurants and all the small villages and beaches. Thanks for sharing once again! xoxox

• tini58de's Profile Photo
    Jul 16, 2010 at 11:23 AM

Kosta, thanks for that awesome page of my even more favourite island.... I went from Naxos to Amorgos in a small boat together with school books, mail and concrete - way back in 1978!!! That was even before the BIG BLUE! Loved it!!!

• MacedonianUK's Profile Photo
    Jul 16, 2010 at 4:31 AM

Great photos and info... I do not mind lying on one of those beaches my self. I hope to make it one day to this amazing place.valentina

mindcrime

“WORLD is a book. Don't read just one page!”

Badges & Stats in Amorgos Island

Have you been to Amorgos Island?

Latest Activity in Amorgos Island