"in love with Big Blue!" Top 5 Page for this destination Amorgos Island by mindcrime
Amorgos Island Travel Guide: 73 reviews and 253 photos
I cant be objective with Amorgos, it’s my favorite island in Cyclades complex. I was still in highschool when I first saw the Big Blue, the French movie made by Luc Besson and felt in love with the island. I visited many times since then.
The island doesn’t have any airport (so, no charter flights from europe, yes!) and the boat connection isn’t daily. So, it’s kind off the beaten path but I prefer it that way. It’s not impressive like Santorini, its not big like Naxos, it’s not green like Andros but still it’s unique, with the steep cliffs along its coastline, the natural environment in Amorgos will give you some great photo opportunities although many people find boring this rocky island with trees only at the valleys.
If you see the map of this long and narrow mountainous island you will realize there are two different ports, Aigiali at the north and Katapola at the west. Most of the visitors choose to stay at these small port towns or at Chora (5km from Katapola) which is the capital located at the center. There are some rooms in smaller villages too. There’s no need to book in advance if you go off season but the island gets packed during july/august. I never visit Amorgos in high season, there’s no reason to see it so crowded, it’s another place actually. There are about 1800 inhabitants, many work for the tourist industry during the summer months but also have a another job usually in agriculture section.
Like most of the islands in Cyclades there are many winds that will destroy your hair but they also keep the temperature in normal levels.
-visit the monastery of Chozoviotissa
-spend a day at the most beautiful Chora in Cyclades
-eat fresh fish at the local restaurants
-hike along its paths
-swim in beaches with crystal waters
-visit ancient sites and numerous churches
-visit the villages of Tholaria and Langada
-check the south part if you have some extra time, it’s off the beaten path but worth a visit
-talk with local people, they are very friendly and down to earth people
Try to avoid the typical souvenirs (made in china), although if you want them there are some small stores near the ports... more travel advice
Ancient Minoa used to be on the Mountoulia hill above Katapola. You walk up there through the path (45’) but as the sun... more travel advice
mindcrime's Related Pages
Amorgos Island Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "in love with Big Blue!"
- "AMORGOS, STRANGE AND HYPNOTIC"
- "Amorgos- where the big blue was filmed"
- "Amorgos a frenchie Greek Island"
- "Amorgos, Cyclades"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Amorgos Island
- Hotels in Amorgos Island
- Transportation in Amorgos Island
- Nightlife in Amorgos Island
- Restaurants in Amorgos Island
- Shopping in Amorgos Island
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Amorgos Island
- 51 Reviews
- 189 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 16 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (206)
Have you been to Amorgos Island?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Amorgos Island
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Athens Intro, 147 reviews, 414 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Geneva Intro, 59 reviews, 253 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Corfu Island Intro, 72 reviews, 228 photos
- Rome Intro, 70 reviews, 229 photos
- Paris Intro, 66 reviews, 228 photos
- London Intro, 56 reviews, 197 photos, 1 travelogue
- San Francisco Intro, 55 reviews, 189 photos
- Budapest Intro, 46 reviews, 196 photos
- Copenhagen Intro, 46 reviews, 194 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Amorgos Island Intro, 51 reviews, 189 photos, 1 travelogue