"Andros(Hora), the capital" Andros by mindcrime

Andros Travel Guide: 33 reviews and 50 photos

The first time I visited Andros island at Cyclades complex in Greece I stayed at Batsi like most of the tourists do.

Two days after I visited Andros(Hora), the capital of the island and I felt in love with it! Andros is picturesque and so nice! Less crowdy but full of friendly local people. This is a page for Andros town (Hora) so if you want to check the rest of the island see my Andros Island page.

There are many nice museums like the archeological museum (don’t miss the roman copy of Hermis statue), the exceptional Museum of Modern Art, the nautical museum (you can see models of ships sailed from here) etc

Can Yucel (1926-1999), a famous turkish poet wrote about a woman from Andros in one of his poems (andros’lu kadin)

Bahçemdeki asmalardan biri / Kadındır, Andros’ludur;
Bindiğim gemilerden biri, Beyaz entarisinin kolları açık,
Saçlarını geriye iter,
Euripides okur;
Bindiğim gemilerden biri / Kadındır, Andros’ludur

One of the vines in my garden is a woman, from Andros,
one of the ferries I take often,
with the sleeves of the dress off, flicking her hair back
she reads Euripides;
one of the ferries I take often, she’s a woman, from Andros.

• Last visit to Andros: Jun 2005
  • Intro Updated Aug 26, 2013

• travelgourmet's Profile Photo
    Jan 15, 2010 at 11:39 PM

Nice to see the Andros photos. My friend, a seaman, has a home here with the back door, ten feet from the water. The statue to seamen was a nice touch. I lost my Great Grandfather to the sea.

• JLBG's Profile Photo
    Aug 9, 2008 at 1:08 AM

Your page remind me my visit to Andros ! I enjoyed the island and the city. I should build a page as I have plenty of photos.

• kat-m's Profile Photo
    Jan 15, 2008 at 6:34 AM

I have to try to get here, it is so difficult from scotland, looks beautiful my friend.

• vtveen's Profile Photo
    Nov 19, 2007 at 2:33 AM

Interesting tips of one of these lovely Greek Islands. Jaap

mindcrime

“WORLD is a book. Don't read just one page!”

Badges & Stats in Andros