"Island of the sailors..." Top 5 Page for this destination Andros Island by mindcrime
Andros Island Travel Guide: 52 reviews and 149 photos
Andros is the second biggest island of Cyclades complex after Naxos with about 10.000 inhabitants. You can easily reach the island by boat from Rafina in 2 hours. The island is mountainous with many well watered valleys (the famous water Sariza is bottled here). The largest towns are Ándros(or Hora), Gávrio, Bátsi, and Korthí.
The history of the island goes back to ancient times. Many people passed from here through the centuries, Phoenicians, Pelasgians, Persians, Macedonians, Romans and then Venetians and Otomans. After the revolution in 1821 Andros became a great port and many families that were ship owners got rich sailing big boats over the world. You can still see the nice neoclassical building at Hora. The navy picture of Andros is not enough though! You have to further inside to see the agriculture images away from tourists etc Of course don’t expect many tourists around anyway. Only some greek people use to go here in one of the most beautiful islands of Cyclades.
Visit Hora, the capital of the island and the capital of arts because of the museums is my favorite town in the island
-Go to Batsi to see other tourists and enjoy the nightlife
-Stroll around Gavrio port. No picturesque at all but some shops for souvenirs back home are here.
-Go to Palaiopoli to visit the new museum and wash down the heat with a drink at the café right there on the road.
-Visit other places/villages like Korthi, Sariza, Stenies, Menites, Amolohos etc
-Swim in nice beaches but find some time to visit the great museums at Hora
Ok, if you stay in Batsi here’s the tip: walk to the right end of the town and ask for a room right there! I never made... more travel advice
Stamatis tavern and Mpelalis restaurant are two nice restaurants at Mpatsi. “Balconi of The Agean” has great view at... more travel advice
mindcrime's Related Pages
Andros Island Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Andros, the green island"
- "Island of the sailors..."
- "Winds of Change"
- "Andros the beauty of the cyclades"
- "Andros Greece"
- "In the five winds..."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Andros Island
- Hotels in Andros Island
- Transportation in Andros Island
- Nightlife in Andros Island
- Restaurants in Andros Island
- Shopping in Andros Island
- Warnings and Dangers in Andros Island
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Andros Island
- 12 Reviews
- 19 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 8 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (239)
Have you been to Andros Island?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Andros Island
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Athens Intro, 166 reviews, 495 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Thessaloniki Intro, 80 reviews, 319 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Geneva Intro, 60 reviews, 257 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Corfu Island Intro, 72 reviews, 228 photos
- Rome Intro, 70 reviews, 229 photos
- Paris Intro, 66 reviews, 228 photos
- London Intro, 56 reviews, 197 photos, 1 travelogue
- San Francisco Intro, 55 reviews, 189 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chania Intro, 53 reviews, 190 photos
- Budapest Intro, 46 reviews, 196 photos