"Aristi" Aristi by mindcrime
Aristi Travel Guide: 6 reviews and 21 photos
Aristi is located 48km NE from Ioannina city on an altitude of 650meters
It is one of the first villages that we saw as we searching the West Zagori area. It?s one of the main villages that provides you easy access to Vikos Gorge, Voidomatis river or the more touristic Papingo village. Vikos village is only 4km away and gives you panoramic view of the gorge.
The village is picturesque full of the typical for the area stone houses and quaint cobblestone streets but also some traditional cafes, guesthouses and some stores with folk art. Admire the local architecture but also the spectacular views of the granite blocks of Astraka mountain.
Except the main church in the village you can also walk to the monastery of Panagia Spiliotissa that was built in 1579 on the rock of a cave near the bridge on the Voidomatis river?
The village can be used as a base for walk in the plane forest of Voidomatis, for climbing up to Drakolimni(dragonlake) at Gamila mountain and some other activities like rafting, 4x4 trails and horse riding...
It used to be called Artsista until 1928, it seems that the area has seen great wealth in the past considering the fact there are old mansions, churches and monasteries around. The village developed since the 13th century and became one of the biggest settlements in the area, especially between 17th and 19th century with the help of many local immigrants from other Balkan countries like Serbia, Bulgaria and Romania.
Some local festivals take place at:
29 of august, the festival of Ayios Ioannis
Festival of Zoodohou Pigis after Easter
The church Kimisi Tis Theotoku (Assumption of Virgin Mary) dates back from 1718. It is a three-aisled basilica with a... more travel advice
The village is picturesque full of the typical for the area stone houses but also some traditional cafes and... more travel advice
mindcrime's Related Pages
Aristi Travel Guide
- Things to Do in Aristi
- Transportation in Aristi
- Restaurants in Aristi
- Shopping in Aristi
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Aristi
- 5 Reviews
- 13 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (301)
Have you been to Aristi?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Aristi
Photos in AristiSee All Photos (13)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Athens Intro, 212 reviews, 664 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Thessaloniki Intro, 80 reviews, 319 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Geneva Intro, 60 reviews, 257 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Syros Island Intro, 64 reviews, 242 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Corfu Island Intro, 72 reviews, 228 photos
- Rome Intro, 70 reviews, 229 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Belgrade Intro, 64 reviews, 234 photos
- Paris Intro, 66 reviews, 228 photos
- Santorini Island Intro, 56 reviews, 238 photos
- London Intro, 56 reviews, 197 photos, 1 travelogue