"once upon a time an important city" Top 5 Page for this destination Ancient Corinth by mindcrime
Ancient Corinth Travel Guide: 30 reviews and 163 photos
Ancient Corinth is a major attraction of Prefecture of Corinth(Corinthia in greek) located 7km south of the modern city of Corinth (the new city was built after the big earthquake of 1858). Although the modern Corinth has nothing to offer to a tourist, the Ancient Corinth is an interesting and easy day trip from Athens which is 85km away(the organized tour come in the morning and return in Athens in noon).
By the way, it seems that the area was inhabited since 4000 BC (probably the huge amounts of waters is the main reason). Aeolic tribes were there before 1000BC but it was the Dorians at about 900BC that came here after taking Megaris from Athens. One century after Korinthian people established colonies at Syracusses and Corfu and that brought a lot of money to the economy of Corinth so the city of Corinth became as big at the other big powers of that era. After fighting against the Persian army they fought against Athens that had a new big navy power. During the peloponese war Corinth fought together with Sparta and Athens lost but during the Corinthian war they joined forces with Athens!
The city of Corinth destroyed by Romans in 146BC although it was rebuilt in 44BC by Julius Ceasar.
During the ottoman occupation the Acrocorinth changed hands many times and after the greek revolution Corinth some had the idea to be the capital of Greece but of course the big earthquake a few years later (1858) put the plan in history. The new city of Corinth was built 7km away but it was destroyed also by another earthquake in 1928!
The archeological site of Ancient Corinth has a lot to offer to the visitor with the Temple of Apollo as the most impressive building of all. There is also a museum inside the site where you can see several objects that have been found at the area of Corinth. After that you can visit the Acrocorinth, at the hill above the Ancient Corinth with an old castle and great view over the Ancient Corinth and in general.
After visiting the Ancient Corinth archeological site we headed up to mountain that overlooks the ancient town. It’s... more travel advice
Like I said in previous tip the first thing you see on your left is the Glauke Fountain(pic 1), a large cubic mass of... more travel advice
mindcrime's Related Pages
Ancient Corinth Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Where Apostle Paul walked"
- "once upon a time an important city"
- "On the Way to Ancient Corinth"
- "A Walk in Ancient Corinth"
- "A Day Trip to Ancient Corinth from Athens"
- "Corinth Canal"
- "Sharrie's Ancient Corinth Cityscapes"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Ancient Corinth
- Hotels in Ancient Corinth
- Transportation in Ancient Corinth
- Nightlife in Ancient Corinth
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Ancient Corinth
- 5 Reviews
- 14 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 9 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (262)
Have you been to Ancient Corinth?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ancient Corinth
Photos in Ancient CorinthSee All Photos (14)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Athens Intro, 188 reviews, 574 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Thessaloniki Intro, 80 reviews, 319 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Geneva Intro, 60 reviews, 257 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Corfu Island Intro, 72 reviews, 228 photos
- Rome Intro, 70 reviews, 229 photos
- Belgrade Intro, 64 reviews, 234 photos
- Paris Intro, 66 reviews, 228 photos
- London Intro, 56 reviews, 197 photos, 1 travelogue
- San Francisco Intro, 55 reviews, 189 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chania Intro, 53 reviews, 190 photos