"My trap!" Top 5 Page for this destination Athens by mindcrime

Athens Travel Guide: 4,336 reviews and 10,306 photos

We had snow some years before(winter 2008) so it was an opportunity to stay inside and get out only for playing with snow. We are not used of it in Athens.... but it was very nice… so I started my Athens page then!

The truth is that I didnt know where to begin with so first I added some random tips, some basic places/districts but then the page was always under construction as there are always new things to add, I still walk around and feel like a visitor in my own city trying to check famous corners but also off the beaten path surprises…

I usually travel on budget so all my restaurant tips will be for people that doesn's spend 200$ for a meal.

But let's start...

What to do/see:

Take bus X95 (5 euro) from the airport direct to Syntagma square. Your hotel must be in walking distance from there anyway if you want to have the basic districts and monuments around so any hotel between Syntagma, Plaka and Monastiraki area will be fine although even if you live somewhere else there will be for sure at least one bus leading to the center. The traffic is huge some days though so it’s better not to loose all your day in the bus, especially if you don’t have many days to spend in Athens,

I will make a small itinenary for you but you have to read my tips for detailed description.
Day 1:
At Syntagma square see the Parliament and the Tomb of the Uknown soldier, walk into National Gardens, see Zapeion Hall, the Panathenaic Stadium (the historic first modern olympics’ stadium) and then the Arch of Hadrian (Gate of Athens) and the Temple of Zeus (buy the combo ticket for the Acropolis, you can see many attractions in 4 days including the Acropolis, Roman Agora, Keramikos Cemetery etc)
Now you can either go down Dionysiou Areopagitou pedestrian street or from Syntagma Square go down Ermou Street for shopping. In both options visit Monastiraki area for the market, Psiri (for the cafes), Plaka(for the buildings, and Acropolis at the top of the hill, the Tower of The Winds in the Roman Agora etc) but you better skip Acropolis and visit only the New Acropolis Museum in the evening.

Day 2:
In most cases it makes more sense to begin with the Acropolis early in the morning to avoid the masses but also the heat.
From Syntagma square in walking distance also is Kolonaki district, the expensive central district, you can go there through Vas.Sofias avenue (where you can see some nice buildings but also interesting museums) and if your wallet cant afford the prices (even coffee is more expensive here) go up to Lycabettus Hill for an amazing view of the city or walk down to Eksarxeia district (for the cafes, pubs, rock clubs etc)

Day 3:
See the real city, walk in the center, from Sintagma square to Omonoia square through El.Venizelos Avenue (check the neoclassical trilogy on your right) and from Omonoia to Monastiraki through Athinas Street where you can check the meat and fish markets.
Probably you want to visit some museums. National Archeological Museum is a must but there are dozens of other museums and galleries in many places, mainly in the center.

Day 4:
Visit Sounio by bus for the Temple of Posidon

Day 5:
Take an organised tour to Ancient Corinth or to Delphi.
Or just take the subway and go down to Piraeus and catch an ferry to near by island on the ArgoSaronic Gulf (Hydra, Aigina, Poros or Spetses). There are numerous organized day cruises among them, just book your ticket at travel agent near your hotel.

If you have a car visit Sanctuary of Amphiarion at Kalamos and eat fresh fish at Skala Oropou, Dhilessi or Paralia Avlidhos. Dont forget to swim at one of the beaches along the way. If you have time take the ferry from Skala Oropou to Eretria for more sightseeing and return to Athens from Chalkida.

If you only have 2 days try to combine the first 3 days shown above. It's easy to do but not so relaxing.

Upcoming concerts in Athens:

-sun 8 march 2015 WOLF/STRIKELIGHT/BLACK SOUL HORDE @Kyttaro
-fri 13 march 2015 PRIMORDIAL @An
-sat 20 march 2015 OPETH @Gagarin
-fri 27 march 2015 EPICA @Fuzz
-tue 31 march 2015 DEAD MEADOW @An
-sun 26 april 2015 ALTAR OF PLAGUES/YEAR OF NO LIGHT/ALLOCHIRIA/DIABLERY @Kyttaro
-sat 2 may 2015 KARMA TO BURN @AN
-tue 16 june 2015 WEEDEATER/SADHUS @An
-sun 28 june 2015 OFF! @An
-sun 23 august 2015 AGALLOCH @Kyttaro
-sat 17 october 2015 GOAT @Gagarin

• Pros:too much history
  • Cons:too much traffic
  • Intro Updated Mar 5, 2015

• elsadran's Profile Photo
    Oct 26, 2014 at 3:54 PM

Very good tips ! You are doing a very good job with Athens...I know it is so difficult to write about it . there are so many things that I quickly gave up the idea of writing myself...I am glad you are doing it...

Oct 27, 2014 at 12:33 AM

thanks for your kind words Elsa! for me its easier now as I can add things slowly without any rush. what's more its probably the only page of mine that I try to keep it updated through out the year

• elsadran's Profile Photo
      Oct 27, 2014 at 2:05 PM

I'll keep reading and rating it of course....: )

Aug 16, 2014 at 8:10 AM

Wow, you have added lots of new tips and updates since I last looked at this page. Good work!

May 8, 2014 at 6:16 AM

Wow, you do a great job describing your city and it's history and your photos are great. I agree with you about the porch of the Caryatids. I kept being drawn to it as I think it is the most beautiful thing on the Acropolis. I also agree about Omonoia Square. We went there and then wondered why. We did find a nice lunch down one of the side streets. Thanks for identifying the name of that restaurant for me.

May 8, 2014 at 6:22 AM

thanks again for your kind words Rex! I wish I had more restaurant reviews though, it's something I skipped in the past but I started to write some lately because it seems lot of people like to read this kind of reviews too

May 8, 2014 at 7:16 AM

Yes, everyone is always looking for a good place to eat. Since you live there, your tips would be very helpful.

Sep 4, 2013 at 10:09 AM

Me again, coming back to read some more of your fine Athens tips (Transportation, Off the Beaten Path, Warnings and Dangers). My own memories of Athens are not so good because I once broke up with a girlfriend while we were staying there. Also there was a military dictatorship in power at that time, which meant the mood of the country was not very happy.

Jun 23, 2013 at 7:58 PM

Nice information, K. We hope to be in Athens in September so your tips are very helpful. Can't wait to try some of the taverns and other eating places you mention.

Jun 24, 2013 at 7:10 AM

thanks, dont hesitate to ask me anything if you need any help. By the way Mikres Patrides, my favorite cafe is no longer there :(

Apr 21, 2013 at 1:51 AM

I enjoyed reading your fine Things to Do tips about Athens. It's great that you live in the center so you can just walk by these places and have a look without making a huge expedition out of it.

Apr 21, 2013 at 2:35 AM

the funny thing is that since I started the page I always carry my camera wherever I go so many locals talk to me in English :)

• jumpingnorman's Profile Photo
    Dec 11, 2012 at 4:00 PM

well-written --- Syntagma Square --- wish I could return someday :))))

• staindesign's Profile Photo
    Jan 11, 2012 at 1:05 PM

Athens is on my bucket list, I told my fiancé that I don't want a wedding so we can save for a big honeymoon to Greece! Please tell me: do you think it is possible to travel around the country without a tour without speaking Greek? I found tour routes online that I'm dying to experience! I'll definitely be a regular to your pages! :) thanks for your great work!

• SWFC_Fan's Profile Photo
    Dec 6, 2011 at 3:15 PM

Good win for Olympiakos tonight, mate...it's a shame about those late Marseille goals! :-(

• Aitana's Profile Photo
    Mar 8, 2011 at 12:40 PM

I also missed the Kerameikos, and not only onces! Nice pics of the Trilogy ;-)

mindcrime Lives Here!

mindcrime

“WORLD is a book. Don't read just one page!”

Badges & Stats in Athens