"Noble Green Lady..." Top 5 Page for this destination Corfu Island by mindcrime
Corfu Island Travel Guide: 385 reviews and 1,248 photos
Corfu island is located at northwest part of Greece, part of the Ionian islands complex. The island is beautiful, green, full of nice beaches, tasty local food, many local festivities (especially during Easter), byzantine churches, ancient sites, a charming old town, some interesting museums, the old and the new fortress and between them the charming Old Town with the tiny alleys that will remind you of Venice for sure.
The Venetians controlled the island for many centuries (the turks never occupied it unlike other islands of Ionion sea) and influenced the architecture, the language and many other things until the british and the French added some of their influences too.
If you prefer beaches and long sunbathing it has some great beaches, clean waters and some resorts in more peaceful areas if you cant stand the buzzling Old Town (which you will visit anyway as it is one of the most beautiful cities in south Europe). The food is also great, very tasty, don’t miss the famous pastitsada, sofrito, savoro, mpourdeto, all of them are local specialities. Oh, yes! And koum kouat, they have it in every from you can think of (liquer, marmalade etc)
The word Corfu probably comes from the medieval period that was called Korifoi in greek (it means tops) but in the ancient time the island had several different names like Sheria, Feakia, Kerkyra. In Greece we still call it Kerkyra. Just for the record, the nymph Kerkyra was Asopos’s daughter. She was abducted by Poseidon and came to the island where their child Feakas was born (he became the king of the island). I hope greek mythology isn’t too complicated for you, it take us years and years to fill the gaps of the childs of the Greek gods :)
-The Old Fortress and The New Fortress
-Spianada square, Liston, Ionian Academy, Reading Society
-The palace of Saints Michaels and George
-Kanoni spot, Pontikonisi islet, Mon Repo park, Paleopolis
-some great churches:Agios Spiridonas, Panagia Spiliotissa, Panagia Antivuniotissa etc
-museums (Byzantine, Coin, Asian Art, Archeological, Municipal Gallery)
-Sidari and the Canal d’Amour
-Kaizer’s bridge and Sea Museum at Mpenitses
-monastery at Pantokratoras mountain
-Kapodistrias’ museum at Evropouloi
-explore the beaches of the island (Sidari, Paleokastritsa, Perulades, Aharavi, Dassia, Kalami, Agios Georgios etc)
-great view from Logka at Petrulades and also the view from Kaizer’s throne at Pelakas
We went there because of a friend but it’s off the beaten path so no need to look for it (you wont find it easily), the... more travel advice
There are many olive trees in Corfu, there were some parts of the main road that were covered by the high branches of... more travel advice
mindcrime's Related Pages
Corfu Island Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Noble Green Lady..."
- "Beautiful Ionian island"
- "Corfu, Odyssey’s island of the Phaeacians"
- "Wonderful Corfu Island."
- "Island of the sun"
- "Greek Gem"
- "Corfu, a noble lady"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Corfu Island
- Hotels in Corfu Island
- Transportation in Corfu Island
- Nightlife in Corfu Island
- Restaurants in Corfu Island
- Shopping in Corfu Island
- Warnings and Dangers in Corfu Island
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Corfu Island
- 72 Reviews
- 228 Photos
- 9 Forum posts
- 18 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (80)
Have you been to Corfu Island?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Corfu Island
- Posted in Travel Chios Island Forum "Re: 5 hour cruise stop in chios"
- Commented on one of mindcrime's Corfu Island travel pages
- Uploaded a Video to Corfu Island
- Wrote a Review typical club in Corfu Island Nightlife
- Uploaded a Photo to "typical club"
- updated a Corfu Island Travel Page "Noble Green Lady..."
Photos in Corfu IslandSee All Photos (228)
Videos in Corfu IslandSee All Videos (2)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Athens Intro, 99 reviews, 221 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Corfu Island Intro, 72 reviews, 228 photos
- Rome Intro, 70 reviews, 229 photos
- Paris Intro, 66 reviews, 228 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Geneva Intro, 48 reviews, 220 photos, 1 travelogue
- San Francisco Intro, 55 reviews, 189 photos
- Budapest Intro, 46 reviews, 196 photos
- Copenhagen Intro, 46 reviews, 194 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Amorgos Island Intro, 51 reviews, 189 photos, 1 travelogue
- New York City Intro, 56 reviews, 179 photos