"daytrip to Chalkida" Top 5 Page for this destination Chalkis by mindcrime
Chalkis Travel Guide: 40 reviews and 117 photos
Chalkida is about 70km north of Athens, about an hour by car but you can also go there by bus or train. It’s the capital of Evia island right over Evripus strip. In fact Chalkida city is built partly on Evia and partly at Viotia (mainland of Greece). The connection with Evia is easy because of two bridges, the old one (a historical bridge that used to be wooden and it’s nice to walk on) and the modern bridge (built in 1993) for the car traffic. Most of my visits were back in the 90s when we just took the train from Athens while the last years it’s usually a small stop over for coffee on our way to/from Evia island. Finding a parking spot is always difficult there so if you can come by bus or train you’ll be more comfortable that us (most times we have to park way far from where we actually want to.
Most of the visitors are people from Athens and the towns near Chalkida so don’t expect to find many tourists around. It's just a nice day trip from the capital.
There are some interesting sights like the castle, the old bridge, some museums(archeological museum, folklore museum), some interesting buildings (the Red House, The House Of Statues, The Town Hall), the promenade with lots of cafes and taverns (with fresh fish but not so cheap), the medieval church of Agia Paraskevi, an ottoman mosque, the aqueduct, some beaches around etc
The most interesting thing about Chalkida was the weird phenomenon of Evripus waters. The stream change direction every 6 hours and you can see it over the old bridge.
Chalkida is the hometown of many famous greek people like the composer Skalkotas, the poet Skaribas, the painter Mitaras, the actor Makris etc
One of the most prominent figures of Chalkida was Yiannis Skarimbas (1893-1984). He was born near Amfissa but resettled... more travel advice
Chalkida is a small town so you can walk everywhere around easily. The train station is just a few meters away from the... more travel advice
mindcrime's Related Pages
Chalkis Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "daytrip to Chalkida"
- "Long time ago...."
- "So close"
- "Chalkis - Prefecture of Evia"
- "The Evia island!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Chalkis
- Hotels in Chalkis
- Transportation in Chalkis
- Restaurants in Chalkis
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Chalkis
- 15 Reviews
- 47 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (261)
Have you been to Chalkis?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Chalkis
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Athens Intro, 188 reviews, 574 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Thessaloniki Intro, 80 reviews, 319 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Geneva Intro, 60 reviews, 257 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Corfu Island Intro, 72 reviews, 228 photos
- Rome Intro, 70 reviews, 229 photos
- Belgrade Intro, 64 reviews, 234 photos
- Paris Intro, 66 reviews, 228 photos
- London Intro, 56 reviews, 197 photos, 1 travelogue
- San Francisco Intro, 55 reviews, 189 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chania Intro, 53 reviews, 190 photos