"Kineta" Kineta by mindcrime
Kineta Travel Guide: 3 reviews and 12 photos
Kineta is a small coastal town on west part of Attica region (actually this is the last town before prefecture of Corinth), located on the old highway Athens-Korinthos after Kakia Skala(the ancient Skironides Rocks) and Megara facing the Saronic Gulf under the shade of the eastern extension of Mount Geraneia. It is 54km west of Athens, 34km W of Eleysina, 15km W of Megara, 8km E of Ayioi Theodoroi, 30km E of Corinth. The proximity with the capital made it a popular beach since the 60s.
Last time we visited Kineta beach was on our way back from Corinth when we took the old highway but of course you can reach Kineta from the new one, just follow the signs.
Kineta name probably comes from kenete (which means swamp in Arvanitika language-a dialect of albanian), probably there were small swamps near the beach in the past. During 19th century it was just a small village with some arvanitian inhabitants (race that moved in Greece during medieval era). Officially it had less than 200 inhabitants before 1970, and about 500 in 1981.
It?s a nice summer resort in an area full of pine trees with lots of country houses. There?s nothing special about it but due to close proximity to the capital many people visit it for its long beach (probably the longest facing the Saronic gulf from the north). It was popular since the 1960s (!) and slowly people started to build their summer houses there. The last years some people decided to live there, it has about 1900 inhabitants.
Kineta is located on the old highway Athens Korinthos, 54km west of Athens, 34km W of Eleysina, 15km W of Megara, 8km E... more travel advice
mindcrime's Related Pages
Kineta Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Kineta
- 3 Reviews
- 12 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (282)
Have you been to Kineta?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kineta
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Athens Intro, 199 reviews, 612 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Thessaloniki Intro, 80 reviews, 319 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Geneva Intro, 60 reviews, 257 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Corfu Island Intro, 72 reviews, 228 photos
- Rome Intro, 70 reviews, 229 photos
- Belgrade Intro, 64 reviews, 234 photos
- Paris Intro, 66 reviews, 228 photos
- London Intro, 56 reviews, 197 photos, 1 travelogue
- San Francisco Intro, 55 reviews, 189 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chania Intro, 53 reviews, 190 photos