"Kythnos" Nisos Kythnos by mindcrime
Nisos Kythnos Travel Guide: 20 reviews and 78 photos
Kythnos is perfect for small escapes from Athens! Not so far by boat (only 2,5 hours away) and not so big too although you can find a lot of things to do. Of course the basic reason you are here is to relax, so take your time and enjoy the silence! But! If you come during August there are some local festivals so you will see a lot of people dancing. :)
Kythnos, 56miles from Pireaus harbor, is between Kea and Serifos and belongs to the municipality of western Cyclades.
Merihas is the port and the basic town of the island. You will easily find many rooms to rent (make a call during August though). Many restaurants, some cafes, and the basic shopping area is here. I used Merihas as a base for exploring the rest of the island. You can walk to some nice beaches here but don’t forget to visit some other further more by car.
-Stroll around Meriha
-Visit Hora, a small village with cobblestone small alleys up on a hill. Wash down the heat in a small local café.
-Visit Dryopida, a peaceful but nice village
-Go inside Katafiki cave for the stalagmites.
-At Loutra there are some nice beaches and some thermal springs. Many people used to come here in the past because it’s said that the waters have curative properties. In our days the hotel that had the facilities has been closed but the bathhouse is still functioning and visitors may soak in its marble tubs for a modest fee. I strolled around for a while but I couldn’t stand here.
-Visit Panagia Kanala church
-Don’t forget the beaches, so many of them, Merihas, Episkopi, Agios Stefanos, Agia Irini, Kolona are some of them but there are more than 70! Some of them only accessible by a small boat. Kolona is my favorite, a double beach separated by a small isthmus of sand!
We bought some tasty bread at Dryopida. We also found some great moustokouloura a typical greek biscuit. The bakery was... more travel advice
This beach at the background was just 5’ walk from Merihas. It was very peaceful, we enjoyed our swim some really hot... more travel advice
mindcrime's Related Pages
Nisos Kythnos Travel Guide
- Things to Do in Nisos Kythnos
- Hotels in Nisos Kythnos
- Transportation in Nisos Kythnos
- Nightlife in Nisos Kythnos
- Restaurants in Nisos Kythnos
- Shopping in Nisos Kythnos
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Nisos Kythnos
- 11 Reviews
- 21 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (281)
Have you been to Nisos Kythnos?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Nisos Kythnos
Photos in Nisos KythnosSee All Photos (21)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Athens Intro, 198 reviews, 609 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Thessaloniki Intro, 80 reviews, 319 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Geneva Intro, 60 reviews, 257 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Corfu Island Intro, 72 reviews, 228 photos
- Rome Intro, 70 reviews, 229 photos
- Belgrade Intro, 64 reviews, 234 photos
- Paris Intro, 66 reviews, 228 photos
- London Intro, 56 reviews, 197 photos, 1 travelogue
- San Francisco Intro, 55 reviews, 189 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chania Intro, 53 reviews, 190 photos