"Passage to Peloponese" Top 5 Page for this destination Corinth by mindcrime
Corinth Travel Guide: 58 reviews and 226 photos
I remember many years before when we travelled towards Patras we were always passing from the canal in Corinth and it was a typical stop for all travellers. Now, with the new highway the cars and buses don’t pass over the canal so many people miss this nice spot. The city of Corinth located at the northeast coast of Corinth gulf. It used to be 7km in the south (where the Ancient Corinth village lies today) but the new city was built here in 1858 because a huge earthquake destroyed the old city. The earthquake visited Corinth tow more times (1928, 1981) and caused heavy damages. The modern buildings are made by concrete with all the safety rules (like everywhere in Greece after 1981) but there is no character from an architecture point of view and that makes Corinth a boring city (with only some nice corners) for the visitor. Corinth is the capital of the Corinth Peninsula with about 35.000 inhabitants.
I usually visit Corinth only for stroll around the port and take a coffee but the interesting sights are located outside of the city. In Ancient Greece Corinth was as important as Athens and Sparta. Actually, Corinth was between the two enemies and participated in many wars sometimes supporting Athens sometimes Sparta. The city of Coring destroyed by Romans in 146BC although it was rebuilt in 44BC by Julius Ceasar. Visiting the Ancient Corinth will give you an idea of that era, with the temple of Apollo still stands there (ok, 7 columns but for most of the other buildings you have to use your imagination anyway).
Corinth is 84 km away from Athens. You can travel there by bus or suburban train from Athens but an organised tour will be better for you because all the interesting sites are outside of the city (Ancient Corinth, Acrocorinth, the canal, many small villages etc).
If you have a car worth to drive 4km north of Corinth Isthmus and visit Loutraki, a popular seaside restort, most people... more travel advice
The ruins of Ancient Corinth is the most popular and important sight to see in Corinth area. There are a large number of... more travel advice
mindcrime's Related Pages
Corinth Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "1st Day in Greece!"
- "Corinth Canal on the way to Argolida"
- "Passage to Peloponese"
- "Corinth, an isthmus and a canal."
- "Corinth, gateway to the Peloponnesos"
- "The Canal of Corinth"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Corinth
- Hotels in Corinth
- Transportation in Corinth
- Restaurants in Corinth
- Shopping in Corinth
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Corinth
- 6 Reviews
- 21 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 10 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (242)
Have you been to Corinth?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Corinth
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Athens Intro, 168 reviews, 501 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Thessaloniki Intro, 80 reviews, 319 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Geneva Intro, 60 reviews, 257 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Corfu Island Intro, 72 reviews, 228 photos
- Rome Intro, 70 reviews, 229 photos
- Paris Intro, 66 reviews, 228 photos
- London Intro, 56 reviews, 197 photos, 1 travelogue
- San Francisco Intro, 55 reviews, 189 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chania Intro, 53 reviews, 190 photos
- Budapest Intro, 46 reviews, 196 photos