"through the ancient gate" Top 5 Page for this destination Naxos Island by mindcrime
Naxos Island Travel Guide: 292 reviews and 818 photos
Ok, there are some other Cyclades islands that are very famous like Santorini and Mykonos. But there are some others that are as great as those without the big crowds. Naxos is the biggest island (428 km²) of Cyclades (with 18.000 inhabitants) but it doesn’t have international flight connections so that keeps package tourism away.
It’s really worth a visit here. Big sandy beaches, impressive mountains, a dozen of beautiful villages, nice nature, friendly locals, tasty foods and archeological sights. If you go before summer you can barely see any tourist, only the local life. I like to visit the island in May, the water is still cold but everything else is cool! :)
-the incredible Portara at Hora, a marble gate that was supposed to lead to the uncompleted temple of Apollo.
-the venetian castle (15th century) that holds a museum and other sights
-the temple of Dimitra at Sagri
-Hora, the capital of Naxos is attractive, lying there at the foothill of the castle
-the archeological museum
-many old churches
-eat excellent food, basically at the villages with local products (great cheeses and potates!)
-visit many of the villages, Moutsouna, Filoti, Apiranthos etc
-the museum of Apiranthos
-buy local products for souvenirs (Citron, cheeses etc)
-visit Apollon for the Kouros statue
-many beaches to choose, clean waters, golden sand, what else could someone ask for?
Naxos is between Santorini, Ios, Paros and Mykonos and it’s easily accessible by boat from all these islands within an hour or from Piraeus in 4 to6 hours depending the type of the boat.
In Naxos town you can walk easily walk around but you need a taxi or a bus to visit other beaches or the villages. If you rent a car things will be much more comfortable for you.
There are many festivities, basically on the celebration of a saint. If you are lucky you will see for free local... more travel advice
The history of the island goes back to Ancient Greece times. Herodotus had written about the products of the island... more travel advice
mindcrime's Related Pages
Naxos Island Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Naxos island, the wildest Cyclades"
- "Naxos, Greece"
- "Unspoiled paradise"
- "through the ancient gate"
- "IMPREXXION: NAXOS"
- "Naxos Island - Authentic Greece"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Naxos Island
- Hotels in Naxos Island
- Transportation in Naxos Island
- Nightlife in Naxos Island
- Restaurants in Naxos Island
- Shopping in Naxos Island
- Warnings and Dangers in Naxos Island
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Naxos Island
- 16 Reviews
- 24 Photos
- 7 Forum posts
- 8 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (255)
Have you been to Naxos Island?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Naxos Island
Photos in Naxos IslandSee All Photos (24)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Athens Intro, 176 reviews, 525 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Thessaloniki Intro, 80 reviews, 319 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Geneva Intro, 60 reviews, 257 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Corfu Island Intro, 72 reviews, 228 photos
- Rome Intro, 70 reviews, 229 photos
- Paris Intro, 66 reviews, 228 photos
- London Intro, 56 reviews, 197 photos, 1 travelogue
- San Francisco Intro, 55 reviews, 189 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chania Intro, 53 reviews, 190 photos
- Budapest Intro, 46 reviews, 196 photos