"another port to the greek islands" Rafina by mindcrime
Rafina Travel Guide: 10 reviews and 15 photos
Rafina is a small seaside town on the easter coast of Attica region, about 30km east from Athens. It is the second largest port in Attica region after Piraeus. It is also close (17km) to Athens International Airport.
It’s a small town with about 11,000 inhabitants and not much history behind because it was actually created just after the Greek Turkish war (1919-22) when many people came as refugees from Turkey.
Most people come here to catch a ferry to Cyclades islands (the trip is shorter comparing to the one from Pireaus) but also to visit one of the numerous restaurants where you can enjoy seafood and ouzo. I used to visit some of them in the past but I dont have any recent pic, I think this page will be a motive to return.
There’s not much to do in the town apart from some quiet streets lined with palm trees and the church of Agios Nikolaos just north of the town. What’s more the surrounded area has nothing to offer, just farmland and some nice forests of pine trees. Some people may like some (nice and clean) beaches around. For those who just have 1-2 hours before their boats depart you can just choose one of the numerous cafes that overlook the port and enjoy the view. There are also some hotels that can offer accommodation for those who want to overnight here before they catch the boat the morning after.
mindcrime's Related Pages
Rafina Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Rafina - Athens 2nd Port"
- "another port to the greek islands"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Rafina
- 1 Reviews
- 5 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (80)
Have you been to Rafina?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Rafina
Photos in RafinaSee All Photos (5)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Athens Intro, 99 reviews, 221 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Corfu Island Intro, 72 reviews, 228 photos
- Rome Intro, 70 reviews, 229 photos
- Paris Intro, 66 reviews, 228 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Geneva Intro, 48 reviews, 220 photos, 1 travelogue
- San Francisco Intro, 55 reviews, 189 photos
- Budapest Intro, 46 reviews, 196 photos
- Copenhagen Intro, 46 reviews, 194 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Amorgos Island Intro, 51 reviews, 189 photos, 1 travelogue
- New York City Intro, 56 reviews, 179 photos