"a usefull port" Skala Oropou by mindcrime
Skala Oropou Travel Guide: 4 reviews and 13 photos
Skala Oropou is the seaport part of Oropos. It’s located about 50km NE from Athens, Attica. It’s not attractive at all but from there you can take the ferry to Eretria and explore the Evia island. A lot of people from Athens have their country houses at Oropos and many more come in weekends for the beach. There are buses from Athens (1 hour bus ride) so the main beach of Oropos gets really crowed on Sundays. There are about 1300 ihabitants and the main business is agriculture. Oropos has lot more people that come every summer. The architecture is a disaster near the sea. There are some churches and squares but some nice houses are up on the hills.
The history of the area goes back to Ancient Greece. The area was always important because of its location between Athens and Viotia and opposite Evia. The written texts at the Sanctuary of Ampiarion gave a lot of information about Oropos and the rich era of that period. Famous writers of Ancient Greece (Herodotus, Aristotelis etc) also referred to Oropos and some of them said that Oropos was the ancient GREA of Homer. Some people say that when the people from Italy came to Greece the first people they meet were the people of Grea and that why the greek people are known as Greci! Athens and Viotia fight many times to occupy Oropos.
-swim swim swim!
-eat fresh fish at one of the taverns. There are also some cafes and some clubs for the night. There is a also a cinema, CINE OROPOS at Pindarou 5(tel:2295038979)
-If you come to Oropos don’t miss the Oracle Amphiarion of ancient Oropos which is located close to Kalamos village (10’ by car from Oropos).
-Drive along the coast to Chalkutsi, Dilessi and Avlida.
This is one of the most popular café in Oropos. In the morning the tables (on the sand) are occupied by the swimmers of... more travel advice
( Except those who come here to take the ferry to Eretria ) most of the visitors take the bus or their car to relax at... more travel advice
mindcrime's Related Pages
Skala Oropou Travel Guide
- Things to Do in Skala Oropou
- Transportation in Skala Oropou
- Restaurants in Skala Oropou
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Skala Oropou
- 4 Reviews
- 13 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (52)
Have you been to Skala Oropou?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Skala Oropou
Photos in Skala OropouSee All Photos (13)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Corfu Island Intro, 72 reviews, 228 photos
- Rome Intro, 70 reviews, 229 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Athens Intro, 93 reviews, 194 photos
- San Francisco Intro, 55 reviews, 189 photos
- Budapest Intro, 46 reviews, 196 photos
- Copenhagen Intro, 46 reviews, 194 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Amorgos Island Intro, 51 reviews, 189 photos, 1 travelogue
- New York City Intro, 56 reviews, 179 photos
- Barcelona Intro, 52 reviews, 173 photos
- New Orleans Intro, 50 reviews, 174 photos