"Paradise on Earth!" Top 5 Page for this destination Kauai by mindcrime

Kauai Travel Guide: 971 reviews and 2,580 photos

The garden Island! This is how we had in our minds as Hawaii and it was real! After some days in Oahu we came in Kaua'i and we felt like living in paradise here! Just after our plane arrived at Lihue Airport we were happy like small children. We took our car and started driving so slow because of the beauty around us. We loved that there were no big structures and the tourist development goes slowly without spoiling this paradise. I hope they will keep it this way…

The weather in Kaua’i was ideal in October, always around 25’ Celsius, we felt great. Passing light showers are often too but they wont bother you more than a few minutes. Some areas, like the south coast are usually dry and sunny all the time anyway. By the way Mountain Mai’ale’ale is the wettest spot on earth!! Don’t expect big crowds here, if you come from Honolulu (and had stayed in Waikiki) you will be surprised of beautiful beaches that wait only for you and your other half only! There are not many residents too anyway (65.000), they live in small towns and there are no high-rise buildings (great!). The economy of the island is based on tourism of course with Po’ipu at the south as the most popular among tourists (but also Kapaa at the east and Princeville at north with many time-share houses)

THINGS TO DO:

-rent a car in advance and pick it up at the airport
-book a room next to the ocean, away from towns if possible so you can hear only the waves
-drive everywhere and get happy like a small child, choose a specific area each day
-go hiking, trecking, cycling, canoeing, kayaking, surfing, bodyboarding… you wont believe how many choices you have beyond “must see” things. Most of my tips are for places to visit but the best moment in Kaua’i were those unspoiled areas that we were alone with the nature (and those unexpected cocks that seem that they have conquered the island)
-admire some beautiful beaches but swim only in those who are safe. Some organized ones have lifeguards so others are better to avoid for many reasons like high waves, rocks, jellyfish etc
-see/visit the Waterfalls, the Kilauea Point Refuge, The Hanalei Bay, some amazing Botanical Gardens etc
-a helicopter ride is expensive but it will show you things that cant be reached by your car. The Napali Coast is amazing for example.

…by the way I don’t have any nightlife tips this time and there’s a reason for that, actually two of them: we were touring the island all day so the only thing we needed after that was just a bottle of wine on our balcony with the sound of the waves the only company…

and...

Watching the sun rising from the east every morning was the fondest memory I have from Kaua’i, a precious moment indeed…

• Last visit to Kauai: Oct 2009
  • Intro Updated Nov 29, 2009

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Apr 28, 2010 at 1:51 PM

A 5* enticing, interesting page, that really makes me want to go here!

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Feb 27, 2010 at 6:36 AM

Hello, Konstantinos ! I see it's a splendid place to enjoy! Thanks for your page! ><><><

• Donna_in_India's Profile Photo
    Dec 20, 2009 at 9:43 AM

Absolutely great page on Kauai! Very detailed and informative information and lovely photos. So much to do here! Now, this is the Hawaii I want to see!!

• ozalp's Profile Photo
    Dec 4, 2009 at 6:54 AM

Merhaba komsu. :) I enjoyed reading your tips a lot and decided to copy this trip if I marry someday. ;) Keep writing.

• Tuna_ank's Profile Photo
    Dec 3, 2009 at 7:18 AM

My favorite tip maker :-)), congrats for your good trip and loong tips...

• Yaqui's Profile Photo
    Dec 2, 2009 at 8:51 PM

What a wonderful Hawaii vacation! Such a beautiful island and you've presented some wonderful tips and photographs. Nice page!

• nicolaitan's Profile Photo
    Dec 2, 2009 at 4:51 AM

amazing image of the coastline from the helicopter. will be back.

• Vanity666's Profile Photo
    Dec 1, 2009 at 4:15 AM

Wow! A Hawaii are on my wishlist since, well, forever :D Did you get those flowers around your necks on arrival or is that just a clichee?

• janetanne's Profile Photo
    Nov 29, 2009 at 10:25 PM

Wonderful write up Konstandinos! You have written so much and many details that anyone who hasn't been to Kauai will want to go after reading your excellent tips. Great job!

• angiebabe's Profile Photo
    Nov 29, 2009 at 11:41 AM

wow your writeup shows u loved your visit here&the enthusiasm is rubbing off!think the$ for the helicopter was money well spent!lovely green photos!when our NZ maoris came to NZ in 600 or so AD they think it was Hawaii they came from-they call it Hawaiki.

mindcrime

“WORLD is a book. Don't read just one page!”

Badges & Stats in Kauai