"ordinary town with a medieval castle!" Top 5 Page for this destination Caerphilly by mindcrime
Caerphilly Travel Guide: 122 reviews and 420 photos
Caerphilly isn’t the most beautiful welsh town, it just an ordinary welsh town. But it’s the only city that houses an impressive castle from 13th century!
It’s located only a bit away from Cardiff (we took bus 26, you can also reach it by train) so it’s an easy day trip from the capital.
Caerphilly is also famous for its local cheese, although we forgot to try some I’ve read that it’s a salty, crumbly and tangy cheese. What’s more every summer (late july) there is a cheese festival with thousands of people coming to visit and taste the cheese but also listen traditional music and watch medieval demonstrations etc
The castle is very big, we spent about 2 hours inside, we didn’t have any guide with us but there were useful signs everywhere (from these signs I got all the information you see on my tips). We checked numerous inner yards and went up and down some of the towers, checking the rooms, we also checked the view from small or big windows and taking some nice pictures of us with medieval background :).
The only disadvantage of the castle is that the rooms are empty, there’s no decoration, I would like to see them with furniture, not the original of course but just for the people to see how it was for the real people that were living there at that era.
- Pros:a huge mevieval castle from 13th century!
- Cons:ordinary welsh town
After walking in the city we needed a beer so as expected we looked for a pub. We went into King’s Arms, it was very... more travel advice
We took some more pictures of the upper towers (pic 1) and started to walk down again. We checked again some parts of... more travel advice
mindcrime's Related Pages
Caerphilly Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Caerphilly - Famous for its' Castle and Cheese..."
- "Caerphilly Rains"
- "ordinary town with a medieval castle!"
- "Caerphilly - famous for two things!"
- "Home of the cheese and the castle"
- "Caerphilly, famed for cheese and leaning castle"
- "Caerphilly - Caerffili"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Caerphilly
- Transportation in Caerphilly
- Restaurants in Caerphilly
- Shopping in Caerphilly
- Warnings and Dangers in Caerphilly
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Caerphilly
- 11 Reviews
- 39 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (281)
Have you been to Caerphilly?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Caerphilly
Photos in CaerphillySee All Photos (39)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Athens Intro, 198 reviews, 609 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Thessaloniki Intro, 80 reviews, 319 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Geneva Intro, 60 reviews, 257 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Corfu Island Intro, 72 reviews, 228 photos
- Rome Intro, 70 reviews, 229 photos
- Belgrade Intro, 64 reviews, 234 photos
- Paris Intro, 66 reviews, 228 photos
- London Intro, 56 reviews, 197 photos, 1 travelogue
- San Francisco Intro, 55 reviews, 189 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chania Intro, 53 reviews, 190 photos