"ordinary town with a medieval castle!" Top 5 Page for this destination Caerphilly by mindcrime

Caerphilly Travel Guide: 122 reviews and 420 photos

Caerphilly isn’t the most beautiful welsh town, it just an ordinary welsh town. But it’s the only city that houses an impressive castle from 13th century!

It’s located only a bit away from Cardiff (we took bus 26, you can also reach it by train) so it’s an easy day trip from the capital.

Caerphilly is also famous for its local cheese, although we forgot to try some I’ve read that it’s a salty, crumbly and tangy cheese. What’s more every summer (late july) there is a cheese festival with thousands of people coming to visit and taste the cheese but also listen traditional music and watch medieval demonstrations etc

The castle is very big, we spent about 2 hours inside, we didn’t have any guide with us but there were useful signs everywhere (from these signs I got all the information you see on my tips). We checked numerous inner yards and went up and down some of the towers, checking the rooms, we also checked the view from small or big windows and taking some nice pictures of us with medieval background :).

The only disadvantage of the castle is that the rooms are empty, there’s no decoration, I would like to see them with furniture, not the original of course but just for the people to see how it was for the real people that were living there at that era.

• Pros:a huge mevieval castle from 13th century!
  • Cons:ordinary welsh town
  • Last visit to Caerphilly: Apr 2011
  • Intro Updated Jun 11, 2011

• nicolaitan's Profile Photo
    Jul 4, 2011 at 6:17 AM

what a chilling video of tommy cooper dying on stage. wow. will be back for more, need a break after watching this.

• Aitana's Profile Photo
    Jun 24, 2011 at 10:38 AM

I see you do enjoy visiting castles! Thanks for a nice page.

• Vanity666's Profile Photo
    Jun 11, 2011 at 11:47 PM

I just love these stone castles, another great page. Thanx for sharing ;)

• aaaarrgh's Profile Photo
    Jun 11, 2011 at 4:22 PM

Yes, I'll have to visit again to see the statues that have sprung up, just like that ;o)

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Jun 11, 2011 at 6:27 AM

Hello, Konstantinos! This place is certainly worth visiting....Maybe some day...Thanks for your nice presentation....

mindcrime

“WORLD is a book. Don't read just one page!”

Badges & Stats in Caerphilly

Have you been to Caerphilly?

Latest Activity in Caerphilly