"on the hill" Top 5 Page for this destination Alcudia by mindcrime
Alcudia Travel Guide: 48 reviews and 113 photos
Most of the visitors prefer the Port d'Alcúdia (3km away from Alcudia) because of the long beach of course, in our days it is a major summer resort with lots of hotels and numerous restaurants around the marina, very popular among families that prefer this area as a base for their holidays.
The truth is that we spent our time in the old town of Alcudia which is surrounded by the old medieval walls from 14th century! The picturesque alleys, 2 medieval gates, some small museums, a nice church, a bull ring from 19th century and remains of an old roman town (including a roman amphitheatre from 1st century BC) are some attractions for the visitor, enough to keep you busy for some hours. There are also numerous small cafes and restaurants.
The area was inhabited since prehistoric times although for the first organized community we have to go Phoenicians. Romans (during the first century AD) created Pollentia that was as the capital of the island. Vandals destroyed the town during 5th century and 3 centuries later it was rebuilt by Moors that named it with the arabic name Al Cudia (on the hill).
Then the christians arrived (Jaume I liberated the island) and built the circuit of walls around the town although they used many stones from old roman buildings, the first wall dates from 14th century but there was a second wall added during 17th century.
Tourism arrived in Alcudia in the 70s but it was after 1985 when the construction booming at Port d’Alcudia that brought massive groups of tourists.
The small alleys all over the old town is the best attraction of Alcudia. Most of them are peaceful and will give you... more travel advice
Although modern Alcudia spreads around the walls the main attraction of Alcudia is the Old Town itself. Small well... more travel advice
mindcrime's Related Pages
Alcudia Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Alcudia, an ancient roman town"
- "on the hill"
- "Mallorca- the Mediterranean jewel"
- "beautiful place"
- "Coming soon"
- "great for families"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Alcudia
- Hotels in Alcudia
- Transportation in Alcudia
- Restaurants in Alcudia
- Warnings and Dangers in Alcudia
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Alcudia
- 5 Reviews
- 25 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (100)
Have you been to Alcudia?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Alcudia
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Athens Intro, 110 reviews, 288 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Corfu Island Intro, 72 reviews, 228 photos
- Rome Intro, 70 reviews, 229 photos
- Paris Intro, 66 reviews, 228 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Geneva Intro, 48 reviews, 220 photos, 1 travelogue
- London Intro, 56 reviews, 197 photos, 1 travelogue
- San Francisco Intro, 55 reviews, 189 photos
- Budapest Intro, 46 reviews, 196 photos
- Copenhagen Intro, 46 reviews, 194 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Amorgos Island Intro, 51 reviews, 189 photos, 1 travelogue