Barcelona Off The Beaten Path Tips by mindcrime
Barcelona Off The Beaten Path: 461 reviews and 675 photos
Gaudi's church crypt at Colonia Guell
After seeing so many modernism buildings I didn’t expect to be surprised with another Gaudi’s work, but I did! This church crypt was build by Gaudi in 1914 (begun in 1899) in basaltic stone bricks while some mosaics give an “archaic” touch! Gaudi tried here several styles (and that is the amazing thing about) so to get ready for the construction of Sagrada Familia. I was walking for minutes between the five aisles, checking the columns, the porch (columns made of terracotta bricks) the roof etc
E.Guell, a rich man of his era wanted to create a new factory area at this grounds (that era away from Barcelona) that would provide a nice, healthy and family friendly environment for the workers of the textile factory. Have in mind that the famous Guell Park (the most of the tourists visit anyway) hadn’t been created yet. So, he asked Gaudi to design the area for the community. Gaudi build the church while other architects created buildings for other cultural activities etc
Actually Gaudi didn’t manage to complete the whole church (that was supposed to be over the crypt) and that’s why we see only the crypt now.
We took several photos of the exterior too and then we walked on the roof of it.
The crypt is open daily 10.00-19.00(weekends till 15.00). From November to April 10.00-15.00. The entrance fee is 4 euro but for some strange reason you cant find tickets near the Crypt but you have to walk down the road at another building!
The crypt is located at Colonia Guell, at Santa Coloma.
You can take the train(S4, S7, S8) from Plaza Espanya to Colonia Guell. There is a train every 15’ and the ride will take about 25’.
view of Barcelona
Not the highest mount on the world but I was curious to go up there to this hill and check the church and that antenna that we were looking from distance so many days.
Tibidabo is standing at 517 meters and on its slope is situated the huge Parc de Collserola (65.000sq meters). At this parc is situated the telecommunication tower (Tore de Collserola) which is 560 meters over the sea lever. There is a lift that will take you to the top. I guess it will be nice up there but we didn’t try it.
First we stopped for some panoramic photos (pic 1) over the city at a platform where many couples go during the sunset. Then we went up to visit the church Temple Expiatori del Sagrat Cor (church of Sacred Heart) (pic 2) with the huge of Jesus Christ on the top of it (pic 3). The church was built in 1902 by Enric Sagnier and I loved the psychedelic colorful front door. The church is open 10.00-19.30 daily. By the way the name Tibidabo comes from the Devil’s temptation of Christ when he offered Jesus the world at his feet from a high mountain: ”Haec omnia tibi dabo si cadens aderaveris me” (all of this I shall give to you if you worship me)
It was quite chilly up there, we strolled around for a while. There were many families visiting the Parc d’Atraccions del Tibidabo, an amusement park that is opened from 1908 and reminded me of my childhood at the beginning of the 80’s, especially with the old vintage games like the wheel or the horses. Of course there are modern rollercoasters rides etc The entrance fee is 25euros (9 for children)There you can also find the Museu dels Automates, a colorful place with old games from amusement parks but unfortunately we didn’t have time for that.
We took some last photos of the view just about when the city started to lit (pic 4) and we returned back in the center over Plaza Espana. When we entered park Montjuic to take a night shot of the square I realized the beautiful lights over Tibidabo. It was a great last memory from Barcelona…
We went there by car but you can go by train (L7) to Plaza del Doctor Andreu and then take the funicular.
More Reviews (50)
- See All Gracia
- See All Vegetalia
- See All Barcelona's airport
- See All football madness
mindcrime's Related Pages
Barcelona Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Barcelona es bona..."
- "Seamandrew's Barcelona Page"
- "Truly Catalunya, Truly Spain"
- "Barcelona,one of the most beautiful Spanish cities"
- "Addictive Barcelona"
- "BCN, a mediterranean capital"
- "Gaudi is Not the Only Site in the City"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Barcelona
- Hotels in Barcelona
- Transportation in Barcelona
- Nightlife in Barcelona
- Restaurants in Barcelona
- Shopping in Barcelona
- Warnings and Dangers in Barcelona
- See All...
Explore the World
- Garner State Park Hotels
- Oklahoma City Hotels
- Tagaytay City
- Baltimore Hotels
- Vernazza Hotels
- Florida Off The Beaten Path
- Chicago Off The Beaten Path
- Colorado Off The Beaten Path
- Boston Off The Beaten Path
- Washington State Off The Beaten Path
- DAY TRIPS AROUND MUMBAI
- Key West Off The Beaten Path
- Outside Rome
- Las Vegas Off The Beaten Path
- Mackinac Island Off The Beaten Path
- Texas Off The Beaten Path
- Washington D.C. Off The Beaten Path
Badges & Stats in Barcelona
- 52 Reviews
- 173 Photos
- 12 Forum posts
- 14 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (67)
Have you been to Barcelona?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Barcelona
Photos in BarcelonaSee All Photos (173)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Corfu Island Intro, 72 reviews, 228 photos
- Rome Intro, 70 reviews, 229 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Athens Intro, 96 reviews, 203 photos
- San Francisco Intro, 55 reviews, 189 photos
- Budapest Intro, 46 reviews, 196 photos
- Copenhagen Intro, 46 reviews, 194 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Amorgos Island Intro, 51 reviews, 189 photos, 1 travelogue
- New York City Intro, 56 reviews, 179 photos
- Barcelona Intro, 52 reviews, 173 photos
- New Orleans Intro, 50 reviews, 174 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (39)
Latest Barcelona hotel reviews
- AC Diplomatic
- 332 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 7, 2013
- Catalonia Duques De Bergara
- 249 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 25, 2013
- Comfort Hotel Abbot Barcelona
- 41 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 26, 2013
- Tryp Apolo Hotel Barcelona
- 845 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 8, 2013
- Catalonia Rubens Hotel
- 98 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 29, 2013
- Catalonia Princesa Hotel Barcelona
- 174 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 8, 2013
- Prestige Paseo de Gracia
- 252 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 22, 2013
- Rafaelhoteles Diagonal Port
- 122 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 14, 2013
- Prestige Congress Hotel Barcelona
- 148 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 22, 2013
- Grand Marina Hotel
- 783 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 3, 2013
- Hotel Jardi
- 254 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 25, 2013
- Amrey Diagonal
- 284 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 5, 2013
- Aqua Hotel Onabrava
- 310 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 27, 2013
- Hotel Medium Confort
- 60 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 2, 2013
- Temple de la Sagrada Familia- 430 Reviews, 889 Photos
- Las Ramblas- 224 Reviews, 361 Photos
- Parc Guell- 309 Reviews, 624 Photos
- Casa Mila - La Pedrera- 180 Reviews, 343 Photos
- Tibidabo- 56 Reviews, 108 Photos
- Montjuic- 78 Reviews, 163 Photos
- Casa Batlló- 121 Reviews, 257 Photos
- Monument a Colon - Columbus Monument- 87 Reviews, 150 Photos
- Plaça Reial- 56 Reviews, 96 Photos
- Beaches- 72 Reviews, 125 Photos
See All Barcelona Things to Do