Barcelona Off The Beaten Path Tips by mindcrime

Barcelona Off The Beaten Path: 462 reviews and 677 photos

Gaudi's church crypt at Colonia Guell - Barcelona

Gaudi's church crypt at Colonia Guell

Colonia Guell Crypt

After seeing so many modernism buildings I didn’t expect to be surprised with another Gaudi’s work, but I did! This church crypt was build by Gaudi in 1914 (begun in 1899) in basaltic stone bricks while some mosaics give an “archaic” touch! Gaudi tried here several styles (and that is the amazing thing about) so to get ready for the construction of Sagrada Familia. I was walking for minutes between the five aisles, checking the columns, the porch (columns made of terracotta bricks) the roof etc

E.Guell, a rich man of his era wanted to create a new factory area at this grounds (that era away from Barcelona) that would provide a nice, healthy and family friendly environment for the workers of the textile factory. Have in mind that the famous Guell Park (the most of the tourists visit anyway) hadn’t been created yet. So, he asked Gaudi to design the area for the community. Gaudi build the church while other architects created buildings for other cultural activities etc

Actually Gaudi didn’t manage to complete the whole church (that was supposed to be over the crypt) and that’s why we see only the crypt now.

We took several photos of the exterior too and then we walked on the roof of it.

The crypt is open daily 10.00-19.00(weekends till 15.00). From November to April 10.00-15.00. The entrance fee is 4 euro but for some strange reason you cant find tickets near the Crypt but you have to walk down the road at another building!

The crypt is located at Colonia Guell, at Santa Coloma.
You can take the train(S4, S7, S8) from Plaza Espanya to Colonia Guell. There is a train every 15’ and the ride will take about 25’.

Phone: +34.93.6305807

• Written Mar 31, 2009
view of Barcelona - Barcelona

view of Barcelona

lets go up there... Tibidabo Review

Not the highest mount on the world but I was curious to go up there to this hill and check the church and that antenna that we were looking from distance so many days.

Tibidabo is standing at 517 meters and on its slope is situated the huge Parc de Collserola (65.000sq meters). At this parc is situated the telecommunication tower (Tore de Collserola) which is 560 meters over the sea lever. There is a lift that will take you to the top. I guess it will be nice up there but we didn’t try it.

First we stopped for some panoramic photos (pic 1) over the city at a platform where many couples go during the sunset. Then we went up to visit the church Temple Expiatori del Sagrat Cor (church of Sacred Heart) (pic 2) with the huge of Jesus Christ on the top of it (pic 3). The church was built in 1902 by Enric Sagnier and I loved the psychedelic colorful front door. The church is open 10.00-19.30 daily. By the way the name Tibidabo comes from the Devil’s temptation of Christ when he offered Jesus the world at his feet from a high mountain: ”Haec omnia tibi dabo si cadens aderaveris me” (all of this I shall give to you if you worship me)

It was quite chilly up there, we strolled around for a while. There were many families visiting the Parc d’Atraccions del Tibidabo, an amusement park that is opened from 1908 and reminded me of my childhood at the beginning of the 80’s, especially with the old vintage games like the wheel or the horses. Of course there are modern rollercoasters rides etc The entrance fee is 25euros (9 for children)There you can also find the Museu dels Automates, a colorful place with old games from amusement parks but unfortunately we didn’t have time for that.

We took some last photos of the view just about when the city started to lit (pic 4) and we returned back in the center over Plaza Espana. When we entered park Montjuic to take a night shot of the square I realized the beautiful lights over Tibidabo. It was a great last memory from Barcelona…

We went there by car but you can go by train (L7) to Plaza del Doctor Andreu and then take the funicular.

Review Helpfulness: 4 out of 5 stars

• Written Mar 31, 2009

mindcrime

“WORLD is a book. Don't read just one page!”

Badges & Stats in Barcelona

Have you been to Barcelona?

Latest Activity in Barcelona