"day trip to Dali’s birthplace" Top 5 Page for this destination Figueres by mindcrime

Figueres Travel Guide: 129 reviews and 443 photos

Figueres is a town in NE Catalonia, capital of Alt Emporda county (province of Girona). It is located 40km north from Girona and 140kn north east from Barcelona. I guess most people come from these 2 cities as there’s frequent bus and train connection. We took the train from Barcelona and we were there in 130’.

Figueres would be just a typical small town of Catalonia but became famous because Salvador Dali was born and died in Figueres (1904-1989). In 1974 he turned the old theatre of Figueres into a surrealistic museum. This museum is the main attraction of Figueres and one of the most popular museums in Spain (it gets packed during the summer months).

The Old Town is pleasant with many narrow streets, some squares for relaxation while Dali conqueres everything, cafes and restaurants refer to him, stores selling souvenirs etc Apart from Dali museum you can also visit the Toy Museum of Catalonia and Emporda museum

Figueres Tourist Information office is located at Pça. del Sol
Telephone:(+34) 972 503 155
from July 15th to September 15th, two more tourist offices in:
- railway station
- Gala - Salvador Dalí square

from wiki:
The town's name derives from that of Ficaris, of Visigoth origins. In 1267, King James I of Aragon conceded it fuero rights, but four years later count Ponç IV of Empúries set the town on fire.
During the Spanish Civil War, it remained loyal to the Republican government, and was repeatedly bombed by the rebels. Figueres recovered starting from the 1950s, consolidating its economy around the tourism industry.

• Last visit to Figueres: Sep 2012
  • Intro Written Dec 24, 2012

• Raimix's Profile Photo
    Jan 23, 2013 at 6:04 AM

Thanks to you I got to know that is Figeres. Missed it when being in Catalonia region.

• Aitana's Profile Photo
    Jan 6, 2013 at 12:20 PM

Nice page, we only visited the Dali museum, but we would have enjoyed the toy museum!

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Dec 28, 2012 at 12:57 PM

Nice tips from your day trip to Dali’s birthplace.
    I once rode through Figueres on my bicycle on my way from Girona to Perpignan. But I didn’t really see very much in Figures. This was long before the S. Dali Museum was even thought of.

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
      Dec 30, 2012 at 4:00 AM

I don't know, but in the pub in Girona they were very friendly and tried to teach me a few words of Catalan.

• mindcrime's Profile Photo
      Dec 30, 2012 at 7:33 AM

of course, they still are, the reason I visit spain often is the people above everything else

mindcrime

“WORLD is a book. Don't read just one page!”

Badges & Stats in Figueres

Have you been to Figueres?