"day trip to Dali’s birthplace" Top 5 Page for this destination Figueres by mindcrime
Figueres Travel Guide: 129 reviews and 434 photos
Figueres is a town in NE Catalonia, capital of Alt Emporda county (province of Girona). It is located 40km north from Girona and 140kn north east from Barcelona. I guess most people come from these 2 cities as there’s frequent bus and train connection. We took the train from Barcelona and we were there in 130’.
Figueres would be just a typical small town of Catalonia but became famous because Salvador Dali was born and died in Figueres (1904-1989). In 1974 he turned the old theatre of Figueres into a surrealistic museum. This museum is the main attraction of Figueres and one of the most popular museums in Spain (it gets packed during the summer months).
The Old Town is pleasant with many narrow streets, some squares for relaxation while Dali conqueres everything, cafes and restaurants refer to him, stores selling souvenirs etc Apart from Dali museum you can also visit the Toy Museum of Catalonia and Emporda museum
Figueres Tourist Information office is located at Pça. del Sol
Telephone:(+34) 972 503 155
from July 15th to September 15th, two more tourist offices in:
- railway station
- Gala - Salvador Dalí square
The town's name derives from that of Ficaris, of Visigoth origins. In 1267, King James I of Aragon conceded it fuero rights, but four years later count Ponç IV of Empúries set the town on fire.
During the Spanish Civil War, it remained loyal to the Republican government, and was repeatedly bombed by the rebels. Figueres recovered starting from the 1950s, consolidating its economy around the tourism industry.
Theatre museu Gala Salvador Dali is obviously a museum dedicated to Salvador Dali (1904-1989) and his work. In was back... more travel advice
Museu del Joguet is a the Toy Museum of Catalonia and unlike the packed Dali museum here there was no visitors inside!... more travel advice
mindcrime's Related Pages
Figueres Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Home of Salvador Dali"
- "day trip to Dali’s birthplace"
- "Dali and a lot of restaurants"
- "salvador dali at his best"
- "Figueres ; Salvador Dali's sweet hometown"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Figueres
- Hotels in Figueres
- Transportation in Figueres
- Restaurants in Figueres
- Shopping in Figueres
- Warnings and Dangers in Figueres
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Figueres
- 13 Reviews
- 47 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (255)
Have you been to Figueres?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Figueres
- Posted in Travel Parga Forum "Re: getting cash from atms in Parga"
- Commented on one of mindcrime's Figueres travel pages
- Wrote a Review Theatre museu Gala Salvador Dali in Figueres Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "Theatre museu Gala Salvador Dali"
- created a Figueres Travel Page "day trip to Dali’s birthplace"
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Athens Intro, 176 reviews, 525 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Thessaloniki Intro, 80 reviews, 319 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Geneva Intro, 60 reviews, 257 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Corfu Island Intro, 72 reviews, 228 photos
- Rome Intro, 70 reviews, 229 photos
- Paris Intro, 66 reviews, 228 photos
- London Intro, 56 reviews, 197 photos, 1 travelogue
- San Francisco Intro, 55 reviews, 189 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chania Intro, 53 reviews, 190 photos
- Budapest Intro, 46 reviews, 196 photos