"Meeting point of the winds" Isla de Formentor by mindcrime
Isla de Formentor Travel Guide: 4 reviews and 50 photos
Formentor peninsula is an amazing range that gives the best photo opportunities in Mallorca island, no surprise many postcards of Mallorca have pictures from here including some spectacular rock formations along the bay.
We followed the scenic road from Puerto Pollensa, they say that it gets crowded and the traffic is so high that you may need 2 hours to cover the 14km till the end of the peninsula but we didn’t have this problem in may. The road was made by the Italian enginner Antonio Paretti but we founded kind of scary in some parts because it is narrow and has numerous close turns.
Along the way there are “miradors”, view points that you can stop and take some great pictures. Most of the tour buses and the majority of cars stop at the first one (mirador d’es Colomer) which is great and the most popular but we decided to go all the way up until Cap de Formentor and see the lighthouse that dominates the northern part of the island in general.
There are some great corners, numerous paths, a famous hotel (Hotel Formentor) that was built in 1929 (with famous guests in the past like Winston Churchill), the lighthouse of course (Cap de Formentor) even some nice beaches. Of course the main attraction are the rocky formations that go into the sea, formation that have been made through the centuries by wind and water. Noone can beat nature…
- In a nutshell:Tramuntana, Ponent, Migjorn and Llevant in one place!
Formentor peninsula is a great place to visit anyway and you may stop way before its far end and still feel satisfy... more travel advice
Mirador d’es Colomer is the most popular view point along Formentor peninsula. It is also known as mirador del Mal... more travel advice
mindcrime's Related Pages
Isla de Formentor Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Meeting point of the winds"
- "Mountainbiking Mallorca 2002"
- "Cap de Formentor, a lonely beatiful place"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Isla de Formentor
- 4 Reviews
- 14 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (77)
Have you been to Isla de Formentor?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Isla de Formentor
Photos in Isla de FormentorSee All Photos (14)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Athens Intro, 98 reviews, 209 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Corfu Island Intro, 72 reviews, 228 photos
- Rome Intro, 70 reviews, 229 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Geneva Intro, 48 reviews, 220 photos, 1 travelogue
- San Francisco Intro, 55 reviews, 189 photos
- Budapest Intro, 46 reviews, 196 photos
- Copenhagen Intro, 46 reviews, 194 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Amorgos Island Intro, 51 reviews, 189 photos, 1 travelogue
- New York City Intro, 56 reviews, 179 photos
- Barcelona Intro, 52 reviews, 173 photos