"like a fairy tale" Top 5 Page for this destination Segovia by mindcrime

Segovia Travel Guide: 366 reviews and 898 photos

Segovia is the capital of the province Segovia in Castile-Leon with almost 60.000 inhabitants. It’s about an hour away from Madrid by bus and for that reason a typical day trip from the capital. This beautiful town is walkable so you can see most of the major sights in a day and return back but I decided to stay for a weekend to feel more the atmosphere and at the end it was a great idea because I had all the time I needed to walk around, to taste some tasteful food in some restaurants, to see some great monuments in the night with some nice lights on them, to lie down at the grass under the trees and the blue sky etc

There are at least three monuments at your MUST SEE list:

1)the amazing Roman Aqueduct

2)the Cathedral at plaza Mayor (great to see it day and night, inside and outside!)

3)the castle from the fairy tale Alcazar

Here's my small video of the weekend we visited Segovia: video

The old town is surrounded by the old walls dated back to the 8th century but don’t forget to walk around, see some other great buildings like churches, palaces, towers etc There are also more than 20 old Romanesque churches, convents, and monasteries.

During week days the town looks empty with only Japanese groups around but on weekends it gets crowded. The weekend I visited Segovia there was a festival in the streets of the city with people in old costumes celebrating the revolution against France at May 2, 1808

Don’t forget to try the cochinillo (roasted suckling pig) which is the local popular dish.

Segovia has the typical climate of Castilla and Leon province that is cold winters and hot summers with the average temperature between 10 and 20 degrees.

• Last visit to Segovia: Jun 2008
  • Intro Updated May 14, 2010

• tzuki's Profile Photo
    Jan 27, 2010 at 2:21 PM

Hi there, Good tips & photos in your Segovia travel page. I enjoyed a lot. So, did you learn how to make a proper "tortilla española"? I hope so x

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    May 24, 2009 at 10:55 PM

~ Hello, Konstantinos! You are right: it's a fabulous place to visit! <><><>

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Jun 26, 2008 at 7:11 PM

Konstantinos, this is a really great page that I thoroughly enjoyed reading! I loved the Roman aqueducts, the info on how the Peninsular war started and I think I would love spicy octopus too! Also, hard to beat watching Euro2008 while drinking beers!

• nicolaitan's Profile Photo
    Jun 26, 2008 at 7:40 AM

really superb page, great detail, loved the photos especially the aqueduct at night. And of course the coffee shops with pastries - our favorite parts of Europe. N.

• SWFC_Fan's Profile Photo
    Jun 24, 2008 at 11:46 AM

Thanks for dropping by my new Saint-Malo page, mate! What a fantastic Segovia page you've got here - excellent tips and stunning photos - great work! :-) 5 beers for 5.50 Euros...I'll have to seek that place out! ;-)

mindcrime

“WORLD is a book. Don't read just one page!”

Badges & Stats in Segovia

Have you been to Segovia?

Latest Activity in Segovia