"like a fairy tale" Top 5 Page for this destination Segovia by mindcrime
Segovia Travel Guide: 366 reviews and 898 photos
Segovia is the capital of the province Segovia in Castile-Leon with almost 60.000 inhabitants. It’s about an hour away from Madrid by bus and for that reason a typical day trip from the capital. This beautiful town is walkable so you can see most of the major sights in a day and return back but I decided to stay for a weekend to feel more the atmosphere and at the end it was a great idea because I had all the time I needed to walk around, to taste some tasteful food in some restaurants, to see some great monuments in the night with some nice lights on them, to lie down at the grass under the trees and the blue sky etc
There are at least three monuments at your MUST SEE list:
1)the amazing Roman Aqueduct
2)the Cathedral at plaza Mayor (great to see it day and night, inside and outside!)
3)the castle from the fairy tale Alcazar
Here's my small video of the weekend we visited Segovia: video
The old town is surrounded by the old walls dated back to the 8th century but don’t forget to walk around, see some other great buildings like churches, palaces, towers etc There are also more than 20 old Romanesque churches, convents, and monasteries.
During week days the town looks empty with only Japanese groups around but on weekends it gets crowded. The weekend I visited Segovia there was a festival in the streets of the city with people in old costumes celebrating the revolution against France at May 2, 1808
Don’t forget to try the cochinillo (roasted suckling pig) which is the local popular dish.
Segovia has the typical climate of Castilla and Leon province that is cold winters and hot summers with the average temperature between 10 and 20 degrees.
The Museo de Arte Contempraneo Esteban Vicente located in an ancient palace (belonged to King Henry Iv)and house an... more travel advice
Corpus Christi is the old main synagogue of Segovia. It was built in the 13th century and it was the centre for the... more travel advice
mindcrime's Related Pages
Segovia Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Segovia - a beautiful Spanish town"
- "like a fairy tale"
- "Segovia la Encantadora!"
- "Full of history from many different centuries!"
- "Back in Segovia."
- "La Granja de San Ildefonso"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Segovia
- Hotels in Segovia
- Transportation in Segovia
- Nightlife in Segovia
- Restaurants in Segovia
- Shopping in Segovia
- Warnings and Dangers in Segovia
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Segovia
- 23 Reviews
- 75 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (79)
Have you been to Segovia?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Segovia
Photos in SegoviaSee All Photos (75)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Athens Intro, 98 reviews, 208 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Corfu Island Intro, 72 reviews, 228 photos
- Rome Intro, 70 reviews, 229 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Geneva Intro, 48 reviews, 220 photos, 1 travelogue
- San Francisco Intro, 55 reviews, 189 photos
- Budapest Intro, 46 reviews, 196 photos
- Copenhagen Intro, 46 reviews, 194 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Amorgos Island Intro, 51 reviews, 189 photos, 1 travelogue
- New York City Intro, 56 reviews, 179 photos
- Barcelona Intro, 52 reviews, 173 photos