"To be or not to be" Top 5 Page for this destination Helsingør by mindcrime
Helsingør Travel Guide: 149 reviews and 441 photos
Helsingor is a small port town, located 45km north of Copenhagen at the NE part of Zealand in Denmark. It is easily accessible by train.
A lot of people come for a relaxing day trip from the capital to visit the famous castle (Krongborg Slot) that lies near the port(only 15’ walking from the train station), a castle that became famous because William Shakespeare decided to put to story of Hamlet there (you probably know the place as Elsinore)
It’s worth to spend some extra hours if you like relaxing holidays, the city centre is lined with small cobbled streets, picturesque corners and some interesting churches. Take it easy here, the daily rhythms seem less stressful... If you think that drinking coffee/beer is a boring activity you may try a visit to the Oresund Aquarium(at Strandpromenaden) or the National Museum of Science and Technology(at Fabriksvej 25), we skipped them both.
There’s a tourist information opposite the train station but they wont really have much to tell you. Just take a map to orient yourself, it’s hard to get lost here :) Unfortunately there are no storage lockers in the train station so if you come just for the castle don’t carry much luggage with you. Another alternative is to leave them at Allegade 2, there’s a building (Kulturvaerftet Helsingor) that you offer storage lockers with a deposit but we didn’t use it so I don’t know timetables etc
After a long week with serious sightseeing we decided to overnight in Helsingor because we had to recharge our inner batteries :) There are not a lot of things to do in the evenings in Helsingor though, after checking some interesting churches (St Mary and St Olai) we just relaxed in the city centre, most of the local people gather at the main square enjoyed the summer sun, drinking beer and eating ice cream which is a nice thing to do for a tourist too :)
If you want to visit a great museum take the train to Humlebaek, it’s always 10 minutes away from Helsingor and has an excelent Museum of Modern Art.
Don’t forget that you can also take the ferry and visit Sweden from here! Helsingor lies at the narrowest point between the 2 countries (only 4km wide) with its twin town Helsingborg clearly seen at the other side. Helsingor’s name comes from “Hals” (neck) due to the narrow strait (Oresund) between the twin cities of Helsingor and Helsingborg.
There are records that people settled in the area since 70BC but the first official records come from 1231 talking about Helsinger people used to live here (actually in Helsingborg and they may just had the castle at the other side).
At the same period church Sct Olai was built, it was just a village church while in our days is the cathedral of the city. King Eric of Pomerania built Krogen castle which later expanded and became Kronborg
- Pros:nice castle, beautiful location
We went there to visit the monastery but finally we realized that it’s the church that really worths a visit. Church... more travel advice
St. Olai Church is the Cathedral of Helsingor. It’s located in the city center and we visited after our visit to... more travel advice
mindcrime's Related Pages
Helsingør Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Helsingør, Hamlet's little Hometown"
- "To be or not to be"
- "Helsingor and Hamlets Castle"
- "HELSINGOR OR ELSINOR"
- "Helsingor or Elsinore"
- "Lively old town with Unesco World Heritage site!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Helsingør
- Hotels in Helsingør
- Transportation in Helsingør
- Nightlife in Helsingør
- Restaurants in Helsingør
- Shopping in Helsingør
- Warnings and Dangers in Helsingør
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Helsingør
- 18 Reviews
- 66 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 7 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (49)
Have you been to Helsingør?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Helsingør
- Posted in Travel Greece Forum "Re: Tennis courts in Santorini"
- updated a Helsingør Travel Page "To be or not to be"
- Commented on one of johngayton's Helsingør travel pages
- Wrote a Review Church of St Mary (Sct. Mariae Kirke) in Helsingør Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "Church of St Mary (Sct. Mariae Kirke)"
Photos in HelsingørSee All Photos (66)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Corfu Island Intro, 72 reviews, 228 photos
- Rome Intro, 70 reviews, 229 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Athens Intro, 93 reviews, 194 photos
- San Francisco Intro, 55 reviews, 189 photos
- Budapest Intro, 46 reviews, 196 photos
- Copenhagen Intro, 46 reviews, 194 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Amorgos Island Intro, 51 reviews, 189 photos, 1 travelogue
- New York City Intro, 56 reviews, 179 photos
- Barcelona Intro, 52 reviews, 173 photos
- New Orleans Intro, 50 reviews, 174 photos