"to travel is to live!" Top 5 Page for this destination Odense by mindcrime
Odense Travel Guide: 280 reviews and 845 photos
Odense is the third largest city of Denmark, located at Funen island(between Sealand and Jutland). It’s about 160km west of Copenhagen, it took us 90’ to reach Odense by train.
Odense (means "Odin's shrine") is a city is famous as the birthplace of Hans Christian Andersen, the Danish author and fairy tale writer that became famous for his children’s stories like The Snow Queen, The Little Mermaid, The Steadfast Tin Soldier, Ugly Duckling etc
Odense (with about 180,000 inhabitants) has a nice compact city centre with some pedestrian streets, thousands of bikers, some nice parks, a lot of museums, churches, it’s a charming town in general, modern enough but also full of picturesque old buildings, rows of tiny houses and romantic cobbled streets. What’s more there are enough small cafes and pubs so not to get bored in the evenings. Most visitors come for daytrip from Copenhagen but we stayed 2 full days so to have the chance to relax a bit but also to check most of the attractions. By the way the city was always an important city, a sacred place during pagan times, religious centre and cultural center during middle ages, commercial centre after 16th century with a newspaper published for the first time in 1772
For 129DKK you get free use of every local bus for 24hours + free entrance to almost every attraction in Odense (more than 10 museums, it’s more than enough I think…) + 50% discount for the Odense Zoo (that you wont have time to visit anyway)
The City Pass was very convenient for us because we had 2 full days so what we did was visiting some sites that doesn’t have admission (parks, churches, Carl Nielsen museum) the first day and we took full advantage of the pass the second day.
For more info about the city check: www.visitodense.com
- Pros:clean, charming town
Kongens Have isn’t only a nice park but a great place to spend the evening every Tuesday during the summer months. They... more travel advice
Kongens Have (King’s Garden) is a nice park in the city center of Odense, opposite the train station and it covers an... more travel advice
mindcrime's Related Pages
Odense Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The birthplace of H.C. Andersen & more !"
- "Friends in Odense"
- "to travel is to live!"
- "My home town"
- "More than H.C. Andersen"
- "Odense's Magic"
- "Culture, Architecture and... Bicycles!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Odense
- Hotels in Odense
- Transportation in Odense
- Nightlife in Odense
- Restaurants in Odense
- Shopping in Odense
- Warnings and Dangers in Odense
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Odense
- 32 Reviews
- 122 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (239)
Have you been to Odense?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Odense
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Athens Intro, 166 reviews, 495 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Thessaloniki Intro, 80 reviews, 319 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Geneva Intro, 60 reviews, 257 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Corfu Island Intro, 72 reviews, 228 photos
- Rome Intro, 70 reviews, 229 photos
- Paris Intro, 66 reviews, 228 photos
- London Intro, 56 reviews, 197 photos, 1 travelogue
- San Francisco Intro, 55 reviews, 189 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chania Intro, 53 reviews, 190 photos
- Budapest Intro, 46 reviews, 196 photos