"much more than the rock festival" Top 5 Page for this destination Roskilde by mindcrime
Roskilde Travel Guide: 219 reviews and 709 photos
Roskilde is a small town on the island of Zealand, 35km west of Copenhagen. The short distance makes it ideal for a day trip from the capital (30’ by train). Roskilde (with a population of about 50,000 inhabitants) has a small city centre where you can visit the famous cathedral, some museums and smaller churches and then walk down to the beautiful harbor (through Bypark) where you can visit the Viking Ship museum.
We decided to stay 4 days here to go slowly but also to use Roskilde as a base, with so many trains going to Copenhagen you feel like that you are in a suburb of the capital(although Roskilde has its own indetity).
Roskilde is also famous of its annual pop&rock festival (unfortunately we visited the city 2 weeks after the festival but we will return some day) but apart from that it’s just a peaceful town, the locals just visit Copenhagen for nightlife spots.
Roskilde is an old city, actually it dates from the Viking Age as it was founded in the 10th century by the lively tribe of the Vikings, at Roskilde museum you see olde finds like pottery, soapstone, coins and jewellery, finds that were made on the hill where the present centre is located(but also at Jorgensbjerg and Vindeboder districts). Coins have been minted in Roskilde under very single king starting with Cnut the Great(1018-35) while the last coin was struck in 1536.
Roskilde was the first capital of Denmark but also it was also an important religious town (the first church was built here by king Harald Bluethooth Gormsson in 980AD on the spot where the famous cathedral stands today). For Roskilde, the Renaissance was synonymous with decline, in 1417 Erik of Pomerania managed to deprive the Roskilde bishops of their most significant possession which was Copenhagen. In 1479 country’s university was founded here. After the Reformation (1536) Roskilde shrank, parish churches and monastic houses were demolished. In the 1600s, plague epidemics, fires and Swedish Wars killed many people with plagues and fires returning again at the beginning of 18th century. A lot of money came for renovation, it was that time when the new city hall was built on Staendertorvet square and the baroque yellow Palace was made.
The first thing we saw coming out of the train station were some huge vases (or jars… whatever)! They are located... more travel advice
Algade is the main pedestrian street that is usually full of people during the day because it houses many stores so... more travel advice
mindcrime's Related Pages
Roskilde Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "much more than the rock festival"
- "Roskilde Cathedral – Where the Danish Kings rest"
- "My hometown Roskilde"
- "I'll be back"
- "Roskilde - More than a cathedral"
- "Roskilde, City of Springs"
- "Lovely Roskilde of the fjords"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Roskilde
- Hotels in Roskilde
- Transportation in Roskilde
- Nightlife in Roskilde
- Restaurants in Roskilde
- Shopping in Roskilde
- Warnings and Dangers in Roskilde
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Roskilde
- 22 Reviews
- 89 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 8 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (79)
Have you been to Roskilde?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Roskilde
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Athens Intro, 98 reviews, 208 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Corfu Island Intro, 72 reviews, 228 photos
- Rome Intro, 70 reviews, 229 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Geneva Intro, 48 reviews, 220 photos, 1 travelogue
- San Francisco Intro, 55 reviews, 189 photos
- Budapest Intro, 46 reviews, 196 photos
- Copenhagen Intro, 46 reviews, 194 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Amorgos Island Intro, 51 reviews, 189 photos, 1 travelogue
- New York City Intro, 56 reviews, 179 photos
- Barcelona Intro, 52 reviews, 173 photos