"Attica Region" Prefecture of Attica by mindcrime
Prefecture of Attica Travel Guide: 5,415 reviews and 13,146 photos
Attica prefecture is the main region of Greece that is occupied mainly by urban area of Athens so most of the visitors will pass from Attica flying into Athens International Airport or/and using the 3 ports of Attica (Piraeus, Rafina, Lavrio).
Prefecture of Attica is more extensive than the ancient Attica as it includes also the Saronic Islands, a small part of Peloponnese and Cythera island.
Attica traditionally had great climate, one of the reasons was that there are 4 mountains (Parnitha, Penteli, Hymettos, Aegaleo) that create a natural protected wall that surround the capital, unfortunately the forest fires the last 20 years have destroyed most of green there causing side effects (higher temperatures, floods because of the rain etc)
I created this page to give you a small plan of orientation with links to separate pages I created, there you can find detailed tips about history, things to do, transportation etc
Spend 2-5 days in Athens (Acropolis, numerous museums, Plaka district, nearby beaches, good restaurants and active nightlife will keep you busy for sure).
Go down to Piraeus port and visit some of the Saronic islands, Athenians go there for weekend breaks, they are small in size but perfect due to close distance from the capital. There are many organized boat tours that cover 2-3 islands in one day (most travel agents include this tour) but you can just take the ferry and visit whatever you like, Hydra is my favorite one but Poros, Aegina, Spetses worth a visit too.
For the islands in Cyclades you can take a boat from the other ports too (Rafina, Lavrio), Lavrio is also the best option to visit Kea(Tzia) island.
You can drive through the south coast of Attica passing by upscale coastial suburbs (Glyfada, Vouliagmeni, Voula, Varkiza) and then along other famous beaches (Saronida, Anavyssos, Legrena etc) until you reach the southern edge and visit Sounio for the ruins of the ancient temple of Poseidon. Lavrio port is 11km from there.
On the east coast you can visit some other beaches, Porto Rafti, Artemida(Loutsa), Nea Makri.
If you have a car visit Sanctuary of Amphiarion at Kalamos and eat fresh fish at Skala Oropou, Dhilessi or Paralia Avlidhos. Dont forget to swim at one of the beaches along the way. If you have time take the ferry from Skala Oropou to Eretria for more sightseeing and return to Athens from Chalkida.
To the west Attica is bordered with Peloponnese through the Corinth canal, you can easily drive(or take an organised tour) to admire the canal and visit Ancient Corinth.
mindcrime's Related Pages
Prefecture of Attica Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Attica Coast"
- "PREFECTURE OF ATTIKI"
- "Attica Region"
- "Prefecture of Attica"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Prefecture of Attica
- Hotels in Prefecture of Attica
- Transportation in Prefecture of Attica
- Nightlife in Prefecture of Attica
- Restaurants in Prefecture of Attica
- Shopping in Prefecture of Attica
- Warnings and Dangers in Prefecture of Attica
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Prefecture of Attica
- 190 Reviews
- 614 Photos
- 280 Forum posts
- 12 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (100)
Have you been to Prefecture of Attica?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Prefecture of Attica
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Athens Intro, 110 reviews, 288 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Corfu Island Intro, 72 reviews, 228 photos
- Rome Intro, 70 reviews, 229 photos
- Paris Intro, 66 reviews, 228 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Geneva Intro, 48 reviews, 220 photos, 1 travelogue
- London Intro, 56 reviews, 197 photos, 1 travelogue
- San Francisco Intro, 55 reviews, 189 photos
- Budapest Intro, 46 reviews, 196 photos
- Copenhagen Intro, 46 reviews, 194 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Amorgos Island Intro, 51 reviews, 189 photos, 1 travelogue