"the capital of Turkey" Top 5 Page for this destination Ankara by mindcrime
Ankara Travel Guide: 373 reviews and 1,292 photos
I always wanted to visit the capital of Turkey. Most of the tourists don’t come here because it’s far from Istanbul (about 500km, 6 hours by bus) and with not so much sights to see. Many people think that it’s a city with no history, with no cultural life and no lively social or nightlife.
Hittites settled here 1200BC but the evolution came with Phrygians. Later Greeks arrived (Alexanger the Great conquered the city, it was called Ankyra by Greeks) and later Romans and Byzantines arrived and took the city until Seljuk Turks took their place after 1071.
Ataturk moved the capital to Ankara after the declaration of Turkish Republic and in fact he built a new city so there is no association with the Ottoman Empire for the visitor to make it more attractive like Istanbul. The population of Ankara is over 5 millions, so it’s a crowded big city but I wanted to visit a local friend and I decided to stop here before continue my trip to Capadocia the day after. I found the old town more authentic than other old towns (including the one in Istanbul) and the people friendly and smiley.
You can see the basic sights in one day but all of them are great:
1)the castle of Ankara
2)the museum of Anatolian Civilizations
3)the mausoleum of Ataturk
4)the statue of Ataturk on the horse is great during the sunset
5)the local food is delicious and way cheaper than Istanbul
6)some lakes near the city are lovely
I like to see cities from above! When in Ankara you can do it for free up from the Ankara castle or you can pay 7,5TL... more travel advice
Kurtulus Savasi Muzesi was the first Parliament building of Turkey, the first sessions of the new government too place... more travel advice
mindcrime's Related Pages
Ankara Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "ANKARA capital"
- "the capital of Turkey"
- "Ankara - capital of Turkey"
- "Ankara - the capital of Turkey"
- "Ankara-The heart of Türkiye"
- "Ankara, Capital of the Republic"
- "Ankara - All four seasons in four days"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Ankara
- Hotels in Ankara
- Transportation in Ankara
- Nightlife in Ankara
- Restaurants in Ankara
- Shopping in Ankara
- Warnings and Dangers in Ankara
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Ankara
- 26 Reviews
- 112 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 13 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (281)
Have you been to Ankara?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ankara
Photos in AnkaraSee All Photos (112)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Athens Intro, 198 reviews, 609 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Thessaloniki Intro, 80 reviews, 319 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Geneva Intro, 60 reviews, 257 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Corfu Island Intro, 72 reviews, 228 photos
- Rome Intro, 70 reviews, 229 photos
- Belgrade Intro, 64 reviews, 234 photos
- Paris Intro, 66 reviews, 228 photos
- London Intro, 56 reviews, 197 photos, 1 travelogue
- San Francisco Intro, 55 reviews, 189 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chania Intro, 53 reviews, 190 photos