"city of sculptures" Top 5 Page for this destination Eskisehir by mindcrime
Eskisehir Travel Guide: 68 reviews and 201 photos
Our plan was to travel directly from Istanbul to Ankara but then we started to think about a city in between to stay for a day and Eskisehir seemed ideal for a weekend trip. It’s modern town in NW turkey 330km SE from Istanbul and 233km west of Ankara. It stands at 792m above sea level overlooking the Phrygian valley.
Eskisehir means Old City (in Turkish) which is party true as it was founded in 1000BC by the Phrygians! We didn’t have time for the archeological museum but I’ve read that they have many artifacts from that era. The city was named Dorylaeum (or Dorylaion in greek) which was actually a bit out of the modern city but it was always mentioned as the most beautiful city in Anatolia.
But what you really see in the city is modern, most of the structures were built after the Turkish war of Independence(1919-1922). The city has about 650 000 inhabitants (it’s the capital of Eskeşehir province) and its very lively due to the fact that there is a university with students from all over Turkey. It was very nice seeing the city centre full of young people at the cafes next to the river Porsuk that splits the city in two.
Upon our arrival we noticed a lot military aircrafts flying over our heads, there is a military base close to the city. Eskisehir is an industrial area anyway with a lot of industries producing anything from trucks to meerschaum and from bricks or textiles to cement or sugar.
Eskisehir is famous for some beautiful restored historical houses(at Odunpazari area) but also for the river Porsuk and its bridges(you can walk around or take a boat for tour), the hot sulphur springs, and the meerschaum(luletasi) artifacts (don’t forget to buy some meerschaum pipes).
There are some interesting museums like the glass museum, the cartoon museum, the meerschaum museum and the archeological museum. We also visited some mosques, the main mosque at the city centre(Reşadiye mosque), some small ones. If you visit Odunpazari check the old mosque (from 1515) of Gazi Melek Pasa (transformed into a museum in 1966)
- Pros:beautiful city, cheap food
- Cons:not much to do after the second day
Eskisehir is famous for the meerschaum (luletasi in Turkish) We visited Atlihan because it houses many stores that sell... more travel advice
What a nice surprise! Karikatur muzesi is a small museum dedicated to comics! As all the museums of Odunpazari... more travel advice
mindcrime's Related Pages
Eskisehir Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "city of sculptures"
- "An Education and Railway city in Central Turkey"
- "Aizanoi is in Kutahya"
- "yakacik's new Eskisehir Page"
- "mbko's new Eskisehir Page"
- "ebru's new Goynuk Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Eskisehir
- Hotels in Eskisehir
- Transportation in Eskisehir
- Nightlife in Eskisehir
- Restaurants in Eskisehir
- Shopping in Eskisehir
- Warnings and Dangers in Eskisehir
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Eskisehir
- 21 Reviews
- 81 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (273)
Have you been to Eskisehir?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Eskisehir
Photos in EskisehirSee All Photos (81)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Athens Intro, 197 reviews, 606 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Thessaloniki Intro, 80 reviews, 319 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Geneva Intro, 60 reviews, 257 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Corfu Island Intro, 72 reviews, 228 photos
- Rome Intro, 70 reviews, 229 photos
- Belgrade Intro, 64 reviews, 234 photos
- Paris Intro, 66 reviews, 228 photos
- London Intro, 56 reviews, 197 photos, 1 travelogue
- San Francisco Intro, 55 reviews, 189 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chania Intro, 53 reviews, 190 photos