Izmir Local Custom Tips by mindcrime Top 5 Page for this destination
Izmir Local Customs: 28 reviews and 24 photos
Everyone in Turkey drinks tea day and night! I met a woman that drinks 10 glasses every day!! After two days I started to drink it too because I liked the small clear glasses that they serve it. I’ve been told that the deep red color of the tea called tavsan kany (rabbit blood!), another funny Turkish name (they like to give funny names for foods, sweets etc).
The Turkish tea is a form of black tea that is produced on the eastern Black Sea coast. In some tourist shops they serve tea to the customers but you have to know that most of the times this is not tea but apple juice! :)
a turkish coffee
Turkish coffee is a typical coffee in Balkan countries, in middle east and north Africa. The preparation is to boil some finely powdered roast coffee beans in a small pot, sometimes with sugar, and serving it into a small cup (like espresso in Italy), where the dregs settle.
Usually it served with cold water and a lokum. Watch out! Don’t drink it all! The thick layer of sludgy grounds at the bottom of the cup is left behind.
Traditionally, the pot is made of copper and has a wooden handle. It’s a good idea to bring back home a traditional small pot for Turkish coffee. Very typical local thing and useful too. I found many of them in the bazaar.
Shoes’ cleaning in the streets! I remember this custom from old greek movies but it’s really fun to see it in Turkey in our days. People still like to have clean black shoes. In Greece we prefer to buy new ones every 2 months! How stupid we are sometimes….
Anyway, another Turkish custom about shoes is this:
If you are invited into a Turkish house, remember to put off your shoes just outside or immediately inside the door. And of course have to put off your shoes when entering a mosque.
More Reviews (26)
mindcrime's Related Pages
Izmir Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Pearl of the Aegean sea"
- "IZMIR , The Holy Land Which is 5000 years old..."
- ""The Beautiful Smirna""
- "IZMIR (SMYRNA)"
- "Foreign Izmir..."
- "Izmir - Konak"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Izmir
- Hotels in Izmir
- Transportation in Izmir
- Nightlife in Izmir
- Restaurants in Izmir
- Shopping in Izmir
- Warnings and Dangers in Izmir
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Izmir
- 29 Reviews
- 52 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 11 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (110)
Have you been to Izmir?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Izmir
Photos in IzmirSee All Photos (52)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Athens Intro, 147 reviews, 414 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Geneva Intro, 59 reviews, 253 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Corfu Island Intro, 72 reviews, 228 photos
- Rome Intro, 70 reviews, 229 photos
- Paris Intro, 66 reviews, 228 photos
- London Intro, 56 reviews, 197 photos, 1 travelogue
- San Francisco Intro, 55 reviews, 189 photos
- Budapest Intro, 46 reviews, 196 photos
- Copenhagen Intro, 46 reviews, 194 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Amorgos Island Intro, 51 reviews, 189 photos, 1 travelogue