"Venice of the West (without tourists)" Top 5 Page for this destination Nantes by mindcrime
Nantes Travel Guide: 167 reviews and 463 photos
We visited Nantes because we wanted to attend Hellfest festival that takes place in Clisson(a small town 30km away) and brings in the area about 25,000 people every year. The 3 days of the festival we were leaving early in the morning only to return back to the hotel at 2:00am so we couldnt really enjoy the city but we decided to add 2 extra days for a proper sightseeing in the city that Jules Verne was born.
Nantes is located 385 SW of Paris (3 hours by fast TGV train) and 50km from Atlantic cost, in our days it?s the capital of Pays de la Toire region but it used to be the capital of Brittany (Bretagne).
In the old days it used to an important port serving the trade with Africa and West Indies. Nantes has about 800,000 inhabitants in the general metropolitan area(and about 50,000 students at the university) . One interesting fact about the city is that it is named after the gaulish tribe Namnetes, a pre-Roman era tribe that lived there in 70BC
It?s a normal french city, clean, with a small old city centre where you can see the cathedral, the château, some small but good museums and enjoy your wine at some nice small brasseries. Of course it?s not high on tourists? lists but we saw some tourist buses passing by.
Due to its proximity with the Atlantic they have cold winters and mild summers but the main problem is the rainfalls, we noticed a lot of them in mid june. We spend most of the evenings at Place du Bouffay, the old part of the city where you can find many restaurants and bars. In the morning we checked some of the sights but also walked a bit near Loire river(actually its branch that is called Erdre) that passes through the city.
- Pros:peaceful, clean, no tourists
price on june 2013, we had a studio for 4 persons, we booked through booking.com for 80e per night, Location we wanted... more travel advice
We didn?t have time for shopping but the city centre was full of clothing stores and some other small ones for small... more travel advice
mindcrime's Related Pages
Nantes Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A surprising city"
- "Venice of the West (without tourists)"
- "Get away from the tourists & visit Nantes!"
- "sandravdp's new Nantes Page"
- "The Largest City in the Pays de la Loire"
- "Interesting City"
- "Nantes in the rain"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Nantes
- Hotels in Nantes
- Transportation in Nantes
- Nightlife in Nantes
- Restaurants in Nantes
- Shopping in Nantes
- Warnings and Dangers in Nantes
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Nantes
- 26 Reviews
- 98 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (282)
Have you been to Nantes?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Nantes
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Athens Intro, 199 reviews, 612 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Thessaloniki Intro, 80 reviews, 319 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Geneva Intro, 60 reviews, 257 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Corfu Island Intro, 72 reviews, 228 photos
- Rome Intro, 70 reviews, 229 photos
- Belgrade Intro, 64 reviews, 234 photos
- Paris Intro, 66 reviews, 228 photos
- London Intro, 56 reviews, 197 photos, 1 travelogue
- San Francisco Intro, 55 reviews, 189 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chania Intro, 53 reviews, 190 photos