"Not really so dismal..." Great Dismal Swamp National Wildlife Refuge by tayloretc
Great Dismal Swamp National Wildlife Refuge Travel Guide: 3 reviews and 17 photos
I went to the Great Dismal Swamp just because of the name. Apparently there's a history behind it, including much misery, but today it's a misnomer - the place is lovely. I went on foot from one of the west side entrances to the large central lake, and met a few others on foot and a cyclist, otherwise just me and the animals - lots of birds and veritable swarms of butterflies, some deer...
It's an easy day trip from Virginia Beach, although it was hard to find any of the entrances coming from the west approach. The shortest hike from an entrance to the lake is about 4.5 miles one way, all flat. There wasn't anywhere to get water or refreshments that I could see. I was there in late July, hot and humid and very buggy. Pack water and slather yourself with as much bug stuff as you can stand.
Check the park's website for details.
- Pros:Quiet, pretty, easy hike
- Cons:Bugs, no amenities
tayloretc's Related Pages
Great Dismal Swamp National Wildlife Refuge Travel Guide
- Things to Do in Great Dismal Swamp National Wildlife Refuge
- Warnings and Dangers in Great Dismal Swamp National Wildlife Refuge
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Great Dismal Swamp National Wildlife Refuge
- 0 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (29)
Have you been to Great Dismal Swamp National Wildlife Refuge?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Great Dismal Swamp National Wildlife Refuge
Photos in Great Dismal Swamp National Wildlife RefugeSee All Photos (3)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chennai (Madras) Intro, 47 reviews, 68 photos, 8 travelogues
- State of Uttar Pradesh Intro, 1 review, 80 photos, 10 travelogues
- Quebec Intro, 7 reviews, 65 photos, 9 travelogues
- Donji Milanovac Intro, 16 reviews, 53 photos, 4 travelogues
- Madikeri Intro, 17 reviews, 44 photos, 3 travelogues
- Barnstable Intro, 10 reviews, 48 photos, 4 travelogues
- Bitola Intro, 1 review, 55 photos, 7 travelogues
- New Delhi Intro, 4 reviews, 46 photos, 5 travelogues
- Penang Intro, 11 reviews, 38 photos, 1 travelogue
- Annapurna Himal Intro, 3 reviews, 46 photos, 5 travelogues