"Bear Brook State Park" Bear Brook State Park by tayloretc
Bear Brook State Park Travel Guide: 0 reviews and 3 photos
When people think of New Hampshire and the outdoors, most people think of the White Mountains, but there’s actually a lot of sparsely populated land out there, with several large State Parks that offer something a little tamer and more organized for families and outings a couple of hours closer to Boston. Bear Brook State Park is one of these.
This is managed land rather than wilderness, and with 10,000 acres there’s quite a lot of it. Besides about 100 campsites (not including areas set aside for specific groups), there are a couple of beach areas with canoeing and rowboats, group picnic areas, ball fields, and about 40 miles of trails. Hiking here is very different from in the White Mountains – much easier for one, more crowded for another, with the occasional side-jump needed for mountain bikes or horses, who also share some of the trails.
It's a really pretty place, and well cared for. Pictures here are from along the Bear Brook trail, which is classified as moderate (it’s actually quite easy). Other shorter, slightly steeper trails lead to views, and some longer trails lead to marshes or less-travelled paths.
There are a couple of places to park – one for the beach and shorter trails, one further on for hikers and mountain bikers, and another for horse trailers. Overall it’s a little crowded for my taste, but even so on a beautiful Saturday in August I went a couple of hours not seeing anyone on what is actually one of the better-travelled trails. The main beach area was packed; the horse trailer parking was empty.
There are winter activities here too: snowshoeing, cross country skiing, and snowmobiling.
You can read all about the park, find trail maps, and how to make a reservation for camping here.
tayloretc's Related Pages
Bear Brook State Park Travel Guide
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Bear Brook State Park
- 0 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (15)
Have you been to Bear Brook State Park?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bear Brook State Park
Photos in Bear Brook State ParkSee All Photos (3)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chennai (Madras) Intro, 47 reviews, 68 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Uttar Pradesh Intro, 1 review, 80 photos, 10 travelogues
- Quebec Intro, 7 reviews, 65 photos, 9 travelogues
- Donji Milanovac Intro, 16 reviews, 53 photos, 4 travelogues
- Madikeri Intro, 17 reviews, 44 photos, 3 travelogues
- Barnstable Intro, 10 reviews, 48 photos, 4 travelogues
- Bitola Intro, 1 review, 55 photos, 7 travelogues
- New Delhi Intro, 4 reviews, 46 photos, 5 travelogues
- Penang Intro, 11 reviews, 38 photos, 1 travelogue
- Annapurna Himal Intro, 3 reviews, 46 photos, 5 travelogues