Donji Milanovac Transportation Tips by tayloretc
Donji Milanovac Transportation: 1 reviews and 0 photos
This tip refers to transportation in the immediate area. You won’t need transportation within the town itself – you can stroll across the entire town in maybe 15 minutes – but if you want to get to any of the "things to do" sites you’ll need some kind of vehicle.
Most people get around by bus. Getting to a larger town is easy – there are several buses per day to the three largest nearby towns (Golubac, Kladovo, and Majdanpek), from which you can take a taxi to the sites of interest. Several sites are located between towns and are walking distance from the main road, but you have to tell the driver where you want to be let off (tricky if you don’t know Serbian), and be prepared to flag down a racing bus when you’re ready to return. The main problem with taking a bus is timing, and it can be a big problem depending on where you’re going.
Cars are of course more convenient. You will not be able to rent a car once here, though, and will have to rely on a taxi, or (if you’re very lucky), meeting someone who is heading your direction. There are several taxis around (either by the bus stand/tourist info center, or up by the market), and a couple of the local drivers speak English or German. A car for a 6-hour day trip to sites around Majdanpek (roughly 80 km) cost me about 60 Euros; a circuitous route DM - Zajecar - Kladovo - DM was about 125 Euros (2011).
Getting to hiking trailheads within the Djerdap National Park can be done by taxi (if the driver knows the trailheads, or if you can explain where they are); several trails are within restricted areas (meaning you have to go with a park guide), and are only accessible by 4-wheel-drive vehicles.
It’s easy cycling in this area, and there are a lot of bike tours and long-distance cyclists passing through. It’s a fantastic way to get around, but you can’t rent a bike here, or buy one, so you’ll have to bring it with you.
Last but not least, boats. At least one site (Tabula Trajana) can only be accessed by boat – as of 2011, the stairs aren’t yet begun, and it sounded more like “it would be nice if there were stairs.” There’s also talk of starting a water taxi service to Lepenski Vir, but as of this writing, you’d have to arrange it privately.
More Reviews (15)
tayloretc's Related Pages
Donji Milanovac Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Donji Milanovac"
- "Donji Milanovac – "Nomad" Town"
- "Donji Milanovac"
- "DONJI MILANOVAC"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Donji Milanovac
- Hotels in Donji Milanovac
- Transportation in Donji Milanovac
- Restaurants in Donji Milanovac
- See All...
Explore the World
- Subic Hotels
- Makati Hotels
- Bacolod City Hotels
- Davao City Hotels
- Washington D.C. Hotels
- Boracay Island Hotels
- Puerto Princesa Hotels
- Karachi Hotels
- Sheepshead Bay Hotels
- Ipoh Hotels
- Ottawa Hotels
- Pulau Mamutik Hotels
- La Sal Junction Hotels
- Apostle Islands Hotels
- Kuching Hotels
- Beijing Hotels
Badges & Stats in Donji Milanovac
- 16 Reviews
- 53 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (15)
Have you been to Donji Milanovac?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Donji Milanovac
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Word Association Game."
- Commented on one of tayloretc's Donji Milanovac travel pages
- updated a Donji Milanovac Travel Page "Donji Milanovac"
- Wrote a Review Excellent local food - redux in Donji Milanovac Restaurants
- Uploaded a Photo to "Excellent local food - redux"
Photos in Donji MilanovacSee All Photos (53)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chennai (Madras) Intro, 47 reviews, 68 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Uttar Pradesh Intro, 1 review, 80 photos, 10 travelogues
- Quebec Intro, 7 reviews, 65 photos, 9 travelogues
- Donji Milanovac Intro, 16 reviews, 53 photos, 4 travelogues
- Madikeri Intro, 17 reviews, 44 photos, 3 travelogues
- Barnstable Intro, 10 reviews, 48 photos, 4 travelogues
- Bitola Intro, 1 review, 55 photos, 7 travelogues
- New Delhi Intro, 4 reviews, 46 photos, 5 travelogues
- Penang Intro, 11 reviews, 38 photos, 1 travelogue
- Annapurna Himal Intro, 3 reviews, 46 photos, 5 travelogues