"Donji Milanovac" Donji Milanovac by tayloretc
Donji Milanovac Travel Guide: 21 reviews and 65 photos
Donji Milanovac is a small town, about 3000 people, just across Djerdap Lake (on the Danube River) from Romania. It’s one of just a couple of towns located inside the Djerdap National Park, and has become a weekend destination for people escaping the more populated northern parts of Serbia. I was told this used to be a well-known family vacation site – being landlocked, the Danube is the closest thing to beaches Serbia has – and the national teams come here for practice and relaxation. I was here for 3 months in fall, 2011, and was back again in summer, 2012.
The town has moved several times in its history, most recently in the 1970s, when the Danube was dammed 60 km downstream and the river rose 30 meters to form the lake here now. About 3 km away, you can still see roofs under the water. In the 1980s, Donji Milanovac experienced increasing tourism, which quickly dried up in the 1990s. It’s been coming back for a while now, but there is still evidence of lean times.
There’s not much to do in the town itself, except watch the lake/river and enjoy the quiet. And fish – everyone seems to fish. A lot of cyclists come through, and cruise ships stop here several times a week. It has/has had so few American or British visitors, when I arrived I was complimented on my English.
There are two bakeries, a couple of small grocery stores, a couple of restaurants and cafes, a couple of clothes stores, and one pharmacy. People buy most of their household goods (faucets, mops, knives) at a market that sets up in a small park for a few hours on Friday mornings. There are fruit trees absolutely everywhere. And there are things to do nearby, which I will get to:
Hiking in the Djerdap National Park
Visiting Rajko’s Cave and Valja Prerast stone bridge near Majdanpek
Taking a boat down the river to the Tabula Trajana
Visiting the ruined medieval fortress in Golubac
Exploring the mesolithic settlement of Lepenski Vir
Visiting the Archaeological Museum, the Ottoman Fetislam fortress, and the Roman ruins in and around Kladovo
Exploring the Felix Romuliana archaeological site near Zajecar
This has turned out to be an ideal base from which to explore the area. Everything to see and do is about an hour away in any direction.
More to come…
This restaurant replaced the very good one called Zlatna Ribica, and very little has changed. Most of the staff is the... more travel advice
The whole area around Kladovo has been settled since prehistoric times, and the museum reflects that history. It isn’t... more travel advice
tayloretc's Related Pages
Donji Milanovac Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Donji Milanovac"
- "Donji Milanovac – "Nomad" Town"
- "Donji Milanovac"
- "DONJI MILANOVAC"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Donji Milanovac
- Hotels in Donji Milanovac
- Transportation in Donji Milanovac
- Restaurants in Donji Milanovac
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Donji Milanovac
- 16 Reviews
- 53 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (15)
Have you been to Donji Milanovac?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Donji Milanovac
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Word Association Game."
- Commented on one of tayloretc's Donji Milanovac travel pages
- updated a Donji Milanovac Travel Page "Donji Milanovac"
- Wrote a Review Excellent local food - redux in Donji Milanovac Restaurants
- Uploaded a Photo to "Excellent local food - redux"
Photos in Donji MilanovacSee All Photos (53)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chennai (Madras) Intro, 47 reviews, 68 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Uttar Pradesh Intro, 1 review, 80 photos, 10 travelogues
- Quebec Intro, 7 reviews, 65 photos, 9 travelogues
- Donji Milanovac Intro, 16 reviews, 53 photos, 4 travelogues
- Madikeri Intro, 17 reviews, 44 photos, 3 travelogues
- Barnstable Intro, 10 reviews, 48 photos, 4 travelogues
- Bitola Intro, 1 review, 55 photos, 7 travelogues
- New Delhi Intro, 4 reviews, 46 photos, 5 travelogues
- Penang Intro, 11 reviews, 38 photos, 1 travelogue
- Annapurna Himal Intro, 3 reviews, 46 photos, 5 travelogues