"Lepenski Vir" Lepenski Vir by tayloretc
Lepenski Vir Travel Guide: 21 reviews and 37 photos
It’s funny that Lepenski Vir is listed as a location on VT, since it hasn’t been inhabited for 5 or 6000 years. What you see in the picture above is all that’s left. It’s truer to call the location the Lepenski Vir Museum and interpretive center.
Lepenski Vir is one of the earliest human settlements in Europe, dating from 7000BC. According to the guide (and my own research), the layout of the village and the design of each dwelling shows signs of social complexity beyond a hunter-gatherer community, evolving organically over a couple thousand years into an agricultural community. It is considered to be a unique archaeological site, not only for its glimpse into this transition, but also for its unique sculptural art.
The site was discovered in the 1960s, soon before the Danube was dammed and the river rose 30 meters. What’s presented in the museum is the entire archaeological dig site transported and meticulously reassembled 30 meters higher and 100 meters west of the original location. Extensive information about the geography and excavation of the original site can be found here, including architectural drawings and pre-dam photos; the same content is continued and updated through 2005 here.
The building in the photos on this page was completed in June, 2011, and hopefully will preserve this site and make it accessible for future generations. There are more photos of the museum and artifacts in the travelog.
There’s an Easter egg in the museum tickets, by the way. If you go to the official website, to the Virtual Sculpture page, and hold the ticket to your video camera, you can see and rotate a sculpture in 3D.
tayloretc's Related Pages
Lepenski Vir Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Lepenski Vir 6 500 to 4 500 BC"
- "The Lepenski Vir Site"
- "Lepenski Vir"
- "The Cradle of European Civilisation!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Lepenski Vir
- Hotels in Lepenski Vir
- Transportation in Lepenski Vir
- Warnings and Dangers in Lepenski Vir
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Lepenski Vir
- 1 Reviews
- 10 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (29)
Have you been to Lepenski Vir?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Lepenski Vir
Photos in Lepenski VirSee All Photos (10)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chennai (Madras) Intro, 47 reviews, 68 photos, 8 travelogues
- State of Uttar Pradesh Intro, 1 review, 80 photos, 10 travelogues
- Quebec Intro, 7 reviews, 65 photos, 9 travelogues
- Donji Milanovac Intro, 16 reviews, 53 photos, 4 travelogues
- Madikeri Intro, 17 reviews, 44 photos, 3 travelogues
- Barnstable Intro, 10 reviews, 48 photos, 4 travelogues
- Bitola Intro, 1 review, 55 photos, 7 travelogues
- New Delhi Intro, 4 reviews, 46 photos, 5 travelogues
- Penang Intro, 11 reviews, 38 photos, 1 travelogue
- Annapurna Himal Intro, 3 reviews, 46 photos, 5 travelogues