"Bitola" Bitola by tayloretc

Bitola Travel Guide: 244 reviews and 1,048 photos

I’m the first to say I’m living a charmed life at the moment, and it’s coloring my experience of Bitola. I’m here for a couple of months, staying in a small guest house on a side street about 50 meters from the picture above, and the patio overhung with grape vines doubles as my office for work. I’ve met some wonderful people. A twenty minute walk puts me on the hill overlooking the valley and mountains. Fifteen minutes the other way puts me in the old town and its twice-weekly farmer’s market; I can take what I buy to the cook in one nearby restaurant for off-menu meals. It has rained a lot, but that makes everything green and overrun with flowers, and when it’s clear, the sky is perfect blue with fluffy white clouds. So yes, I’m biased.

It seems like most people come for just a day or two, which is too bad. There’s a lot to see and do in and around town, not even allowing time to sit for hours people watching on Shirok Sokak or to walk over to Heraclea Lyncestis. I’ll add travelogs on some of the things people miss in the coming weeks.

There’s more to the city than my little area, not all of which is pretty (like any city). There’s a lot of visual variety, though, a lot of new mixed in with something crumbling in interesting ways, which makes wandering off the tourist trail fun.

More to come…

• Intro Updated Jun 19, 2011

tayloretc

“The true delight is in the finding out.”

Badges & Stats in Bitola