"Lazaropole" Lazaropole by tayloretc
Lazaropole Travel Guide: 3 reviews and 21 photos
Lazaropole is one of a few small villages inside the Mavrovo National Park. At about 4500 feet, it’s the highest settlement in the country, and is surrounded by forest for miles around. It’s cooler in summer, and quiet, and is supposed to have the cleanest air in the Balkans.
The area is home to a group called the Mijaks, with different customs, architecture, and dialect from the rest of Macedonia. The difference in architecture is the most noticeable to outsiders – individual houses are spare, with imposing stone first stories, and taken together the whole town has a fort-like feel. You couldn’t tell from the simple exteriors, but some of the most renowned wood carvers and icon painters in Macedonia come from this area.
This is a very small village, with a few hundred people. I heard that many of the houses there are second or summer houses. There’s one small market and a bakery. Besides outdoors activities (hiking, mountain biking, hunting, and in winter, cross country skiing) there’s nothing to do. On weekends in summer visitors come (mostly from Skopje) to hike, and the hotel does arrange some local activities. Wandering around on a Saturday late afternoon, most patios were full of people drinking tea and talking – a great place to get away from the bustle of everywhere else.
Some photos from hiking in the area.
tayloretc's Related Pages
Lazaropole Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Lazaropole - mountain heaven in Macedonia"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Lazaropole
- 1 Reviews
- 14 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (14)
Have you been to Lazaropole?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Lazaropole
Photos in LazaropoleSee All Photos (14)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chennai (Madras) Intro, 47 reviews, 68 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Uttar Pradesh Intro, 1 review, 80 photos, 10 travelogues
- Quebec Intro, 7 reviews, 65 photos, 9 travelogues
- Donji Milanovac Intro, 16 reviews, 53 photos, 4 travelogues
- Madikeri Intro, 17 reviews, 44 photos, 3 travelogues
- Barnstable Intro, 10 reviews, 48 photos, 4 travelogues
- Bitola Intro, 1 review, 55 photos, 7 travelogues
- New Delhi Intro, 4 reviews, 46 photos, 5 travelogues
- Penang Intro, 11 reviews, 38 photos, 1 travelogue
- Bogazkale Intro, 49 photos, 6 travelogues