"Mamallapuram" Mamallapuram by tayloretc
Mamallapuram Travel Guide: 169 reviews and 622 photos
Mamallapuram (Mahabalipuram) is important enough a site to warrant nearly four full pages in the Eyewitness Travel Guide to India. There's good reason behind it, it's a stunning display of artistry in stone, some of which is set in a startling bouldered landscape dropped suddenly in the middle of miles and miles of flat scrub bordering the flat sea.
The fame means it's packed with tourists. Besides the tourists there are people plying souvenirs around every apparently peaceful corner in the main park. There are no peaceful corners near the Shore Temple or the Five Rathas, although the entrance fee means hawkers stay outside the fences. So contemplating the artistry can be difficult. But it's unlike anywhere else, and worth the time to stop by.
The town near the major sites is, understandably, given over to shops catering to the tourists. They range from decent quality (somewhat over-priced) to lesser quality (substantially over-priced). On the road to the Five Rathas there are workshops where you can watch stone workers create the sculpture that's for sale everywhere. If you ever needed a ten-foot-tall stone elephant or a human-size Lakshmi, you’ll find it. At the very least you’ll find someone who will be happy to carve you one, and arrange for shipping. I even saw a life-size kangaroo.
There are plenty of crafts stores with good selections scattered through the village off the beach, mostly north of the Shore Temple. It takes some wandering, and there’s a harder sell than I’ve found in other parts of southern India. There are also some (undoubtedly massively over-priced) “old things” stores on the main road, which have some interesting things, if you have the time to look and the fortitude to negotiate. I found a small shop with musical instruments just off the beach where the owner makes south Indian drums - very good work, much lower price than I've seen elsewhere. Nice man, too.
It's a good day trip from Chennai. Buses run regularly, but you can just as easily hire a car. The drive down the East Coast Highway is pleasant, and a car gives you the chance to stop by Dakshina Chitra (reconstructions of typical houses and buildings from across southern India) or the Crocodile Park on the way back.
- Pros:Magnificent artistry
- Cons:Way too many people
- In a nutshell:Worth seeing as a day trip.
Temple Bay is just about the best place I’ve stayed, ever, anywhere. Granted, I don’t usually travel first class, so I... more travel advice
tayloretc's Related Pages
Mamallapuram Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "So many mixed feelings after the Tsunami"
- "Mahabalipuram - World Heritage Site"
- "Mamallapuram - Seashore Town"
- "Glories of Hindu Art"
- "The Shore Temple and more...."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Mamallapuram
- Hotels in Mamallapuram
- Transportation in Mamallapuram
- Restaurants in Mamallapuram
- Shopping in Mamallapuram
- Warnings and Dangers in Mamallapuram
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Mamallapuram
- 2 Reviews
- 12 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (15)
Have you been to Mamallapuram?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Mamallapuram
Photos in MamallapuramSee All Photos (12)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chennai (Madras) Intro, 47 reviews, 68 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Uttar Pradesh Intro, 1 review, 80 photos, 10 travelogues
- Quebec Intro, 7 reviews, 65 photos, 9 travelogues
- Donji Milanovac Intro, 16 reviews, 53 photos, 4 travelogues
- Madikeri Intro, 17 reviews, 44 photos, 3 travelogues
- Barnstable Intro, 10 reviews, 48 photos, 4 travelogues
- Bitola Intro, 1 review, 55 photos, 7 travelogues
- New Delhi Intro, 4 reviews, 46 photos, 5 travelogues
- Penang Intro, 11 reviews, 38 photos, 1 travelogue
- Annapurna Himal Intro, 3 reviews, 46 photos, 5 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (15)
Latest Mamallapuram hotel reviews
- GRT Temple Bay Resort
- 576 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 10, 2013
- TTDC Hotel Mamallapuram
- 42 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 8, 2013
- Mamalla Beach Resort
- 91 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 9, 2013
- Ideal Beach Resort
- 211 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 10, 2013
- Hotel Mamalla Heritage
- 139 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 4, 2013
- Golden Sun Hotel & Beach Resort
- 39 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 7, 2013