"The city of Athena" Athens by Aitana

Athens Travel Guide: 4,296 reviews and 10,163 photos

When I went to Greece in 1992 for a long period, Athens was my first contact with the country.

It was January and the weather was cold and cloudy. The first impression was not too good. Two days later I left Athens and went to Akrata, a village in the Prefecture of Achaia where I would live for some months.

In the following visits to Athens I began to discover the city and to love it. Since then, every time I have gone to Greece, I have reserved at least two days to Athens.

The Acropolis really impressed me the first time and after several visits I still find it surprising. Everywhere you go in Athens, you see the Acropolis. Walking up is customary: a few years ago, I drew my brother there; later, I drew my husband, in our honeymoon.

Once on the Acropolis, the view is impressing. New buildings surround the remains of Ancient Greece. White, small houses spread as far as the eye can see.

Athens is a noisy city but there some places of tranquility that I really appreciate. The Ancient Agora is one of these havens of peace in the crowded city.

My last visit was quite short. Our cruise stopped at Piraeus and we spent most of the day in Athens. Next stop: Naples.

• Last visit to Athens: Oct 2006
  • Intro Updated Feb 1, 2010

Aitana

“El andar tierras y comunicar con diversas gentes hace a los hombres discretos (Miguel de Cervantes)”

Badges & Stats in Athens