"Kalavrita" Kalavrita by Aitana
Kalavrita Travel Guide: 31 reviews and 68 photos
Kalavrita is a nice town in the mountains, in the prefecture of Achaia. The rack railway from Diakopto is a good way to reach Kalavrita. The train goes through the Vouraikos Gorge.
There are some places to visit nearby: the ski center, the Spilaio Limnon (Cave of Lakes) and the monasteries of Agia Lavra and Mega Spilaion.
The Monastery of Mega Spilaion (Great Cave) is built on the side of a 120 m high rocky hill. The monastery was founded in 362 A.D. in the cave where an icon of the Virgin Mary was found. It was burnt in 840 by the Iconoclasts and rebuilt in 1285. Several fires have damaged it along the centuries. In December 1943, during the Massacre of Kalavrita, all the monks and all other staff members were executed and their bodies thrown over a cliff. The monastery keeps a number of important and unique relics.
This Memorial commemorates the massacre that took place on 13 December 1943, when all male over 14 were gunned down by the occupying forces.
The monastery of Agia Lavra is the place where the call for Åëåõèåñßá Þ ÈÜíáôïò (Freedom or Death) was first heard on 17 March 1821, starting the Greek War of Independence. Germanos, Bishop of Patras, launched the revolution against the Ottoman Empire. It is said that the revolutionary flag was raised by Bishop Germanos under the plane tree just outside the gate of the monastery.
Aitana's Related Pages
Kalavrita Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The historical region of Kalavrita"
- "E/\EY8EPIA H 8ANATOS!!!"
- "the beauty of kalavryta"
- "Kalavrita, a place with great history"
- "Kalavrita, a small village on the Peloponnesos"
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Kalavrita
- 0 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (24)
Have you been to Kalavrita?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kalavrita
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Alicante Intro, 54 reviews, 144 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Galicia Intro, 31 reviews, 94 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cuenca Intro, 34 reviews, 78 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cluj-Napoca Intro, 21 reviews, 50 photos
- Teruel Intro, 18 reviews, 48 photos
- Sighisoara Intro, 16 reviews, 47 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Baeza Intro, 16 reviews, 46 photos
- Granada Intro, 16 reviews, 41 photos
- Soria Intro, 12 reviews, 42 photos
- Logroño Intro, 16 reviews, 33 photos