"Mystras" Mistras by Aitana
Mistras Travel Guide: 49 reviews and 92 photos
We arrived to Mystras an afternoon of October. First of all we stopped in the center of the village to have a look, then we saw there were some houses with rooms to let. The one we chose had a friendly orchard, where we would have breakfast the day after with the owner, Kyria Christina, under a lemon tree, talking about the village and her family.
As it was October, the village was not very busy. I suppose that during the summer, there must be more people and also more tabernas and restaurants open. Anyway, we found a taberna where we had a good diner, near the monument to Ioannis Paleologos.
The city of Mystras had been built using blocks of stone from the ruins of ancient Sparta, that can be seen from the castle.
During the Byzantine Empire, Mistra was an important center of culture and arts. From there, the Despot ruled all the Peloponnese for two centuries.
Mystras is now an archaeological site where there are some monasteries, churches and palaces that must be visited.
It is surrounded by olive groves that increase the beauty of the ancient city.
Aitana's Related Pages
Mistras Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Alive Byzantium!"
- "Even the word is magical..."
- "One of Greece's Premiere Byzantine Attractions"
- "Mistras, a byzantine ghost town"
- "Mystras, Greece"
- "Byzantine wonderland"
- See All...
Explore the World
- Las Galeras
- Laguna de Arenal Hotels
- St. Thomas
- Marco Island
- Jalandhar Hotels
- Crumlin Hotels
- Province of Ilocos Sur
- Laguna de Bay Hotels
- Province of Ilocos Norte Hotels
- Punta de Mita
- Kentucky Dam Village State Park Hotels
Badges & Stats in Mistras
- 1 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (23)
Have you been to Mistras?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Mistras
Photos in MistrasSee All Photos (3)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Alicante Intro, 51 reviews, 137 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Galicia Intro, 31 reviews, 94 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cuenca Intro, 34 reviews, 78 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cluj-Napoca Intro, 21 reviews, 50 photos
- Teruel Intro, 18 reviews, 48 photos
- Sighisoara Intro, 16 reviews, 47 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Baeza Intro, 16 reviews, 46 photos
- Granada Intro, 16 reviews, 41 photos
- Soria Intro, 12 reviews, 42 photos
- Logroño Intro, 16 reviews, 33 photos