"Nafplio, first capital of modern Greece" Nafplio by Aitana
Nafplio Travel Guide: 230 reviews and 701 photos
Nafplio is the greek city I most like. The old town, on the slope of Palamidi, is full of charm. The gates with the Venetian lion, the catholic church of the Transfiguration, with the Apse of the Philhellenes, the church of Agia Sophia...
Nafplio, a seaport town in the north end of the Argolic Gulf, was the first capital of Greece from 1829 to 1834.
Along the history, Nafplio has been occupied by Byzantines, Franks, Venetian and Ottomans. Each of them have left their contribution in the fortifications.
Akronafplia walls and Palamidi are the main fortifications. Palamidi fortress was built by the Venetians. Some 1000 steps lead to the top of the castle. The effort is worth as the view of the gulf and the town is fantastic.
After the Greek War of Independence, Nafplio became the seat of the provisional government of Greece because of its strong fortifications. Kapodistrias, governor of Greece, made it the official capital in 1829. In 1831 he was assassinated in Nafplio, at the steps of the church of Saint Spyridon. In the wall there is still a missing bullet. Nafplion remained the capital of the kingdom until 1834, when King Otto decided to move the capital to Athens.
Nafplio is a good starting point to travel around the east and south Peloponnese. Some ancient cities such as Mycenae, Argos, Epidaurus and Tiryns are quite close to Nafplio, in the prefecture of Argolida.
Going to the west, you can take the highway to Tripoli, then follow to Sparta, Mistras and Monemvasia.
After coming down from Palamidi and walking and having a coffee at Nafplio, we decided to have a bath in Arvanitia. the... more travel advice
This part of Nafplio was inhabited from pre-classical times. I reccomend a walk along this peninsula. more travel advice
Aitana's Related Pages
Nafplio Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Nafplio, a dream-like place..."
- "The Romance of Peloponessos!"
- "Simply Unforgettable....."
- "Medieval town by the coast"
- "Nafplio - a city with three fortresses"
- "4 days in Nafplio"
- "LOVELY SEASIDE TOWN OF NAFPLIO"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Nafplio
- Hotels in Nafplio
- Transportation in Nafplio
- Nightlife in Nafplio
- Restaurants in Nafplio
- Shopping in Nafplio
- Warnings and Dangers in Nafplio
- See All...
Explore the World
- Isla Contoy Hotels
- Pulau Perhentian Kecil Hotels
- The Gambia
- Vickers Hot Springs Hotels
- American Samoa
- Castellina in Chianti
- Province of Ilocos Sur
- San Miguel de Cozumel
- McLeod Ganj
- Gambelas Hotels
- Aguadilla Hotels
- Terekhol Hotels
- St. John's
Badges & Stats in Nafplio
- 5 Reviews
- 10 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (23)
Have you been to Nafplio?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Nafplio
Photos in NafplioSee All Photos (10)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Alicante Intro, 51 reviews, 137 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Galicia Intro, 31 reviews, 94 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cuenca Intro, 34 reviews, 78 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cluj-Napoca Intro, 21 reviews, 50 photos
- Teruel Intro, 18 reviews, 48 photos
- Sighisoara Intro, 16 reviews, 47 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Baeza Intro, 16 reviews, 46 photos
- Granada Intro, 16 reviews, 41 photos
- Soria Intro, 12 reviews, 42 photos
- Logroño Intro, 16 reviews, 33 photos
Latest Nafplio hotel reviews
- Amphitryon Hotel
- 81 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 28, 2013