"Alicante, my home city" Top 5 Page for this destination Alicante by Aitana

Alicante Travel Guide: 502 reviews and 1,158 photos

Although I was not born here, I have lived here since I was a two months baby, so Alicante is my home town.

What to say about Alicante? It is easier to write about places that one has visited because they cause a particular impression that can be described, while the home land is a different experience.

The sea, the light, Santa Barbara Castle, the mountains around, the climate... make Alicante a very nice place to live and to enjoy life.

Alicante is a city open to the sea, with an esplanade with palm trees parallel to the port, another promenade along the Postiguet beach, and Santa Barbara Castle that dominates the city.

The city and the beaches are only a part of Alicante. The province hides amazing places that you will like to discover. Visit my travelogue!

Hogueras de San Juan

Every year, from 21 to 24 June, bonfires are erected in all the neighborhoods, the so called Hogueras de San Juan. They are artistic monuments that satirize the current affairs and public characters.

The night of the 24th the bonfires burn and the city returns to normality.

Visit my travelogues Hogueras de San Juan 2007, Hogueras de San Juan 2009 I & II to see some of them. I have also written some local customs tips about the Hogueras.

For further information about the city click here.

• Intro Updated Oct 24, 2013

• bijo69's Profile Photo
    Aug 5, 2013 at 11:26 AM

Hello Aitana, great Alicante page! I'm going there in the beginning of September and Santi (Redang) suggested that you might be available for a meet up. It would be very nice!

• bijo69's Profile Photo
      Aug 6, 2013 at 11:32 AM

Great, I'm planning to be in Alicante September 1st, most likely in the evening.

• Aitana's Profile Photo
      Aug 6, 2013 at 2:55 PM

I hope you'll stay some days. I've sent you an email.

• Redang's Profile Photo
    Oct 11, 2012 at 6:28 AM

Y por cierto, mi visita me gustaría coordinarla para veros un día; en principio, podría adaptar las fechas

• Regina1965's Profile Photo
    Mar 15, 2012 at 11:36 AM

What a nice page, I had no idea that Alicante was so big. A lot of Icelanders own houses there. I always visit the Malaga area, but would love to visit Alicante one day :)

• garridogal's Profile Photo
    Jan 2, 2012 at 7:35 AM

Great pages full of really useful information from a native!

• alza's Profile Photo
    Dec 4, 2011 at 1:16 PM

Yr hometown was a favourite when parents & I drove down from Brussels (where I lived.) Father returned with my brother after sailing fm Greece to Gibraltar, to walk again along Esplanada de España. :) When you visit the U.S., hope you detour to Montréal & visit parts of Canada from here. Worth it & you'll add another (big) country to your travel map! :) Un abrazo!

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Dec 4, 2011 at 12:00 PM

Hola, Carmen!~ It's a nice place to pay a visit... I see....

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Dec 4, 2011 at 12:00 PM

Hola, Carmen!~ It's a nice place to pay a visit... I see....

• mindcrime's Profile Photo
    Jun 22, 2011 at 2:19 AM

not far from Madrid by train! I will put it on my list for sure! nice page here but I will wait for more shopping tips :)

• jacquisuiza's Profile Photo
    Nov 8, 2010 at 9:31 AM

Páginas super informativas, muchas gracias! I will spend one week in Alicante in December. Jacqueline

• aussirose's Profile Photo
    Oct 1, 2010 at 11:53 PM

Enjoyed the read Carmen. And yes, it's a shame when nice coastline is destroyed by development. Looking forward to visiting next year after the big Paris meet! Cheers, Ann :o)

Aitana

“El andar tierras y comunicar con diversas gentes hace a los hombres discretos (Miguel de Cervantes)”

Badges & Stats in Alicante

Have you been to Alicante?