"Emporio" Empúries by Aitana
Empúries Travel Guide: 8 reviews and 26 photos
Emporion was founded in 575 BC by Greek colonists from Phocaea.
The first town, Palaiopolis, was founded in an island, now jointed to the mainland. In that place, now is the village Sant Martí d'Empuries.
Neaopolis was founded later in the mainland.
The ruins that are visited nowadays belong to the new town.
There was a sanctuary dedicated to Asclepius, god of medicine and healing. The statue of Asclepius was offered by a Greek trader from Alexandria. There was also a temple dedicated to Serapis, hellenistic houses with mosaics, the agora and the stoa.
The Roman city, close to Neapolis, was larger that the Greek one. Some houses and thermae have been excavated.
Commerce was the main activity of the city. The situation, between Massalia (Marseille) and Tartessos, in the south of the peninsula, contributed to its prosperity.
The harbour mole can be seen in the beach between Empuries and Sant Martí.
The visit to the archaeological site is very pleasant. The site is very close to the sea, the view is wonderful and there are pine trees that permit to rest at the shade. The colonists that founded the city were really clever!
Some houses of the Roman city are well preserved. Also in these houses mosaics have been found. more travel advice
Aitana's Related Pages
Empúries Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Empúries
- 4 Reviews
- 8 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (24)
Have you been to Empúries?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Empúries
Photos in EmpúriesSee All Photos (8)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Alicante Intro, 54 reviews, 144 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Galicia Intro, 31 reviews, 94 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cuenca Intro, 34 reviews, 78 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cluj-Napoca Intro, 21 reviews, 50 photos
- Teruel Intro, 18 reviews, 48 photos
- Sighisoara Intro, 16 reviews, 47 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Baeza Intro, 16 reviews, 46 photos
- Granada Intro, 16 reviews, 41 photos
- Soria Intro, 12 reviews, 42 photos
- Logroño Intro, 16 reviews, 33 photos