"Elche" Elche by Aitana
Elche Travel Guide: 14 reviews and 30 photos
Elche is city located in Low Vinalopó Basin, in the province of Alicante. The Vinalopó river crosses the city, which is some 15 km from the coast.
Elche is an industrial city where the main activity is the shoe production. Agriculture is also important, and the production of dates and pomegranates outstand. In fact, the Palm Grove of Elche is the largest one in Europe (3.5 sq. km and more than 11,000 palm trees) and it is a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
The Mistery Play of Elche (Misteri d'Elx) is a liturgical drama that commemorates the Assumption of Mary. It dates from the Middle Ages and is enacted and celebrated in the Basilica de Santa María on the 14 and 15th of August of each year. It has been declared by UNESCO Masterpiece of the Oral and Intangible Heritage of Humanity.
The ancient city was some km to the south. In a place now called La Alcudia, there was an Iberian settlement. Carthaginians and Romans also established there. The ancient name was Helike for the Greek traders, later Ilici for the Romans. Some remains of Roman and Iberian houses can be visited, as well as a museum. The most important archeological finding is the Dama de Elche, a sculpture from the Iberian period (4th century BC).
The Basilica de Santa María is the main church of Elche. It is the venue of the Mistery Play of Elche. From the bell... more travel advice
The stone bust of the Dama de Elche is the most important of the archeological remains found in La Alcudia. It is... more travel advice
Aitana's Related Pages
Elche Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A Cosy Oasis"
- "Elche, inland from Costa Blanca"
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Elche
- 4 Reviews
- 13 Photos
- 4 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (24)
Have you been to Elche?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Elche
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Alicante Intro, 54 reviews, 144 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Galicia Intro, 31 reviews, 94 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cuenca Intro, 34 reviews, 78 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cluj-Napoca Intro, 21 reviews, 50 photos
- Teruel Intro, 18 reviews, 48 photos
- Sighisoara Intro, 16 reviews, 47 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Baeza Intro, 16 reviews, 46 photos
- Granada Intro, 16 reviews, 41 photos
- Soria Intro, 12 reviews, 42 photos
- Logroño Intro, 16 reviews, 33 photos