"Ubeda, jewel of Renaissance" Top 5 Page for this destination Úbeda by Aitana
Úbeda Travel Guide: 99 reviews and 279 photos
Medinat-Ubbadat Al-Arab was founded by Abderraman II in the 9th century. Fernando III conquered it in 1233. As it was located in a border enclave between the Christian kingdom of Castile and the Muslim kingdom of Granada, the city was given certain advantages in order to fix population from Castile and León.
The economy was based in agriculture and livestock farming. The handmade industry (pottery, esparto) diversified. The good communications due to the geographic situation of Ubeda and the presence of a powerful nobility made the city flourish during the 16th century. In this period many important buildings were built, thanks to architects like Siloé, Berruguete and Vandelvira.
The family de los Cobos-de Molina was the most important. Francisco de los Cobos became the Emperor Charles V's Prime Secretary of State, and got a lot of important charges. He ordered the construction of some representative buildings in Ubeda such as El Salvador Sacred Chapel.
UNESCO declared Ubeda’s Renaissance monuments a World Heritage Site in a cultural unity with Baeza in 2003. The city is a good starting point to tour the region: cities and villages such as Baeza, Canena and Sabiote, even Jaén (capital of the province), Sierra de Cazorla and Sierra Mágina.
The olive culture provides the main agricultural production in the province of Jaén. No matter where you go, looking... more travel advice
This is one of the oldest churches in Ubeda, possibly built in the Visigoth period. One of the fronts (on Cervantes... more travel advice
Aitana's Related Pages
Úbeda Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Úbeda, UNESCO World Heritage"
- "Ubeda, jewel of Renaissance"
- "Monumental Ubeda Under construction"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Úbeda
- Hotels in Úbeda
- Transportation in Úbeda
- Restaurants in Úbeda
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Úbeda
- 12 Reviews
- 25 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (23)
Have you been to Úbeda?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Úbeda
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Alicante Intro, 51 reviews, 137 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Galicia Intro, 31 reviews, 94 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cuenca Intro, 34 reviews, 78 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cluj-Napoca Intro, 21 reviews, 50 photos
- Teruel Intro, 18 reviews, 48 photos
- Sighisoara Intro, 16 reviews, 47 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Baeza Intro, 16 reviews, 46 photos
- Granada Intro, 16 reviews, 41 photos
- Soria Intro, 12 reviews, 42 photos
- Logroño Intro, 16 reviews, 33 photos
Latest Úbeda hotel reviews
- Husa Rosaleda De Don Pedro
- 10 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 30, 2013