"Palmyra" Palmyra by Aitana
Palmyra Travel Guide: 237 reviews and 767 photos
Palmyra was an important caravan city located in an oasis in the Syrian desert.
During the Roman Empire, Palmyra became a one of the most rich and elegant cities of Syria due to the trade, as it was placed along the caravan routes linking Persia, India and China with the Mediterranean ports of Syria and Phoenicia.
Zenobia, the famous and ambitious queen of Palmyra, took the power circa 250 AD, when her husband Odaenathus was assassinated. She claimed to be descended from Cleopatra. She was exceptionally intelligent and an eloquent speaker of Palmyrian, Greek and Egyptian. In her court were philosophers, scholars and theologians.
Zenobia rebelled against Roman authority and established the Palmyrene Empire, taking over lands as far to the west as Egypt, conquering part of Anatolia and attempting to take Antioch. In 272, Aurelian captured her and sent her back to Rome, where she was paraded in golden chains as a trophy, but she was allowed to retire to a villa. Palmyra became a military base for the Roman legions. Diocletian expanded the city and walled it in to try and save it from the Sassanid threat.
Aitana's Related Pages
Palmyra Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "One of the Great Cities of the Ancient World"
- "tadmor, please - the city of dates"
- "Palmyra - تدمر (Tadmor)"
- "Palmyra - Bride of the Desert"
- "TADMOR - PALMYRA"
- "Palmyra in the desert"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Palmyra
- Hotels in Palmyra
- Transportation in Palmyra
- Nightlife in Palmyra
- Restaurants in Palmyra
- Shopping in Palmyra
- Warnings and Dangers in Palmyra
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Palmyra
- 0 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (35)
Have you been to Palmyra?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Palmyra
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Alicante Intro, 54 reviews, 144 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Galicia Intro, 31 reviews, 94 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cuenca Intro, 34 reviews, 78 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cluj-Napoca Intro, 21 reviews, 50 photos
- Teruel Intro, 18 reviews, 48 photos
- Sighisoara Intro, 16 reviews, 47 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Baeza Intro, 16 reviews, 46 photos
- Logroño Intro, 18 reviews, 42 photos
- Granada Intro, 16 reviews, 41 photos
- Soria Intro, 12 reviews, 42 photos