"My travels" Aitana's Profile

Favorite places

Alicante, my home city

Alicante is my home city since I was a baby; it is also my father’s city. A good place to live. The size of the city makes it comfortable. The climate and the beaches attract many people from other parts of Spain and also from abroad. Just a few miles inwards there are peaks, valleys and mountain villages in contrast with the coast landscapes.

Cuenca, my birth place

Cuenca is a small amazing city, perched between the gorges of two rivers, Júcar and Huécar, in the Serranía de Cuenca. The city, an eagle nest 1000 m high, is famous for its Hanging Houses that lodge the Museum of Spanish Abstract Art among other monuments and was declared a World Heritage site in 1996. The nearby Ciudad Encantada completes the magic of this place.

La Rioja, my husband’s land

I am discovering this beautiful region, La Rioja, bathed by the Ebro river that contributes to its wealth: the wine production (probably the best wines in Spain are elaborated here). Crossed by the Route to Santiago, a walk around La Rioja and its capital, Logroño, is also a route along the history and culture of Spain.

First travels

Along my childhood, travels between Alicante and Cuenca were very frequent. Other travels were to places such as Madrid, Avila, Segovia, Toledo, Granada, Almería, Málaga, Valencia, Murcia…

Apart from the family travels, I had also been to Rome in a school travel.

Then, the student programs Erasmus and Leonardo da Vinci gave me the opportunity of travelling on my own and stay long periods in England and Greece.

In the United Kingdom I had the fortune of knowing other overseas students that also liked knowing places around: the Lake District, the Peak District, Norwich, East Anglia…

Two years later, in Akrata (Achaia), Greece, I had also a good fellow traveler. I won’t say that we traveled all over the country, but in six months we did our best… and we learnt the language, as much as possible in such a short time! This was the beginning of a series of trips to Greece, which is a second home for me.

Work travels

Afterwards I started to work at the University, first as a PhD student, later as a lecturer. Luckily, congresses and conferences permit to visit some places that one would not imagine to go. These travels are usually short and work is first, but there are always a few hours after the conferences that can be spent knowing the city. In some occasions I've extended these travels to visit other places before coming back.

Work travels:

2010: Sevilla
2011: Albacete
2011: Albacete, Valencia

Holidays

Holidays with friends are more relaxed. Good company is very important when travelling, and I have been very lucky. I have travelled with my best friend, like in Prague, and also with a small group of friends. I keep very nice memories of some travels to Greece with a friend, hiring a car and driving along the Peloponnese and Mainland Greece.

1994: Porto, Lisbon, Coimbra.
1997: Tunisia
2000: Jordan: Amman, Jerash, Petra; Syria: Damascus, Alepo, Maalula, Palmyra, Hamah, Krak des Chevaliers.
2003: Prague
2004: Istanbul; Cáceres and Lisbon; Dublin.

Greece:
1995: Naxos
2003: Athens, Nafplio, Mycenae, Sparta, Mystras, Monemvasia, Volos and Oros Pilion.
2004: Athens, Patras, Akrata, Nafpaktos, Delphi, Olympia.
2005: Patras, Cefalonia, Kerkyra.
2006: Athens, Atalanti, Larisa, Meteora, Thessaloniki.
2012: Nafplio, Olympia, Kerkyra.

Travelling together

My last travels have been quite different: those that I’ve made with my husband. In our honeymoon we visited different places in the Mediterranean and the Black Sea, travelling in a cruise. We used to avoid package tours, and indeed we avoided the land excursions, but it is so comfortable and easy to move with the hotel! It is the best way to visit many places without carrying luggage every day. After two days in Rome the cruise took us to Mykonos, Rhodes, Santorini, Istanbul, Constanta, Odessa, Ephesus, Piraeus & Athens, Naples & Pompeii.

We frequently travel to La Rioja, the land of my husband, and stay some days at Logroño, but also visit other places in the region.

Other travels together around Spain:
2006: Tenerife
2007: Santander (Cantabria) and Bilbao; Almagro; Burgos, León and Salamanca
2008: Cabo de Gata (Almería); San Sebastián; Costa Brava: Rosas, Ampurias; Vitoria
2009: Úbeda, Baeza, Sabiote, Sierra de Cazorla, Jaén; Madrid; Galicia
2010: Córdoba; Granada; Galicia; Teruel
2011: Soria
2012: Barcelona*

Other travels abroad:
2006: Paris
2007: Cologne; Florence, Pisa
2008: Crete Island.
2009: London; Cluj-Napoca, Sighisoara, Targu Mures.
2011: Belgium and the Netherlands: Liège, Brussels, Brugge, Gent, Amsterdam.
2012: Mediterranenan cruise, departing from Barcelona and visiting Lucca, Rome, Naples, Mesina, Nafplio, Olympia, Kerkyra, Dubrovnik and Venice
2013: Estonia, Latvia

Most recent travels

Recently we have travelled to different places near Alicante with a group of friends, sometimes for trekking (even under the snow, like in Castalla), sometimes for cultural visits, as in Cartagena or Elche.

Farewell

My father, Vicente, died on June 22, 2007, at the age of 79. He was the best driver. In fact, he really taught me to drive. He had so many qualities: calm, patient, quiet, kindhearted… He was not a prototype of VT traveler; he has never been out of Spain. But he and my mother lived each of my travels, listening to me and watching hundreds of pictures of my trips. She continues enjoying my travels through the pictures and stories.

He used to paint and my parent’s home is full of his paintings. Some of them are based on places that I had visited. The landscape of the picture, Muchavista beach, in Campello, with Puig Campana at the bottom, is the view he had from his summer home. He painted it so many times!

• Intro Updated Oct 11, 2013

• Redang's Profile Photo
    Mar 19, 2014 at 12:02 AM

¿Qué tal todo por allí?

Mar 20, 2014 at 11:26 AM

Nosotros Alicante, jeje. Pásalo bien!

• Redang's Profile Photo
      Mar 21, 2014 at 12:08 AM

Ese fin de semana teneis tener un sarao en Murcia (si os interesa)

• Donna_in_India's Profile Photo
    Jan 12, 2014 at 7:28 AM

Happy birthday, happy travels Carmen!

• isolatedpawn's Profile Photo
    Jan 12, 2014 at 6:40 AM

happy birthday to you happy birthday to you happy birthday happy birthday happy birthday to you

• toemayn's Profile Photo
    Jan 7, 2014 at 3:52 PM

Hope your birthday is filled with all the fun you can handle!

Jan 8, 2014 at 6:41 AM

Hello Maynard, thank you for your birthday wishes! Have a nice year :-)

• mindcrime's Profile Photo
    Jan 7, 2014 at 12:05 PM

happy happy birthday carmen! hope you have a great day

Jan 7, 2014 at 3:03 PM

Thank you K., I had a great day. Returning to the routine is also good, after some holidays ;-)

• CEP1863's Profile Photo
    Jan 7, 2014 at 11:12 AM

Carmen, I hope that you have a fantastic birthday and a coming year packed with exciting travel!

Jan 7, 2014 at 3:08 PM

Hi Clare, thank you for your birthday greetings. I also wish you happy travels in 2014.

• hopang's Profile Photo
    Jan 7, 2014 at 10:46 AM

Hi Carmen, We want to wish you a very happy birthday today. Hope you have a great day! Greetings from Sweden, ~ho & pang

Jan 7, 2014 at 2:55 PM

Thanks a lot, Ho & Pang. It was a nice day, indeed.

• Usctwin's Profile Photo
    Jan 7, 2014 at 10:09 AM

Hope you have a great birthday! You should considering joining our blogger press pass program. Check out more details VirtualTourist Blogger Press Pass: Introduction. Kimberly, VT Staff

Jan 7, 2014 at 3:05 PM

Thank you Kimberly! I've just applied for the blogger pass program.

• ranger49's Profile Photo
    Jan 7, 2014 at 3:16 AM

Dear Carmen, Wishing you a very happy birthday followed by a good year hopefully with some travels.

• Tatianita's Profile Photo
    Jan 7, 2014 at 2:30 AM

Happy Birthday Carmen :)

Share your travels with the world!

Join Now!
Aitana's Profile Photo

Aitana

“El andar tierras y comunicar con diversas gentes hace a los hombres discretos (Miguel de Cervantes)”

Real Name